Author Topic: smilax root  (Read 8162 times)

Offline jbnizzle

smilax root
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »
  anybody know how to make smilax root jelly? I've made it before but it's not what all the rave is about.
 Also read you can make bread from it .

J.B.
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline stickbender

Re: smilax root
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:33:45 am »

Never heard of it.  What is it, and where does it grow?

Wayne

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »
I have eaten the early shoots off smilax plants.  Thay are not to bad raw.  Some are better that others.

As far as I know smilax jelly does not have much of a taste of its own.  Sort of flat.
Smilax roots are used to make other things "jell".   Things like strawberries or blackberries.

Wayne:
Smilax is what we call Green Briers or Saw Briers. 

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »

Ok thanks, Ridgerunner.  ......uh whut are those kind o briars?  any pictures?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »
No pictures.  Run it through google.
It grows all over this part of the word.  Especially in the woods.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »

Smilax-rotunifolia L....Thanks ridgerunner.  Yeah, I know what it is now.  It's all over down here too.  It is also used as a medicinal herb , but I can't remember what for.  Yeah, also called cat's claw.  So you make a jelly out of that?  Wonder who thought to try that?
                                                                    Wayne

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:15:11 pm »
That is the stuff.  Lots of different types.  Some don't even have thorns.

Dig up the roots.  Wash, Smash, Cover with water and cook on low heat ( not boiling) for a long time.  Jelly/Slime will cook out.  Sort of like the slime that cooks out of okra when it is boilled.  While hot Strain it through something that is quite open.  Cheese cloth works well.  When it gets cold it will set up like jello.  I am quite sure the Native Americans figured it out first.

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »
wright .....cat briar, green briar bamboo vine is almost the same.

thanks for the reply everyone. I've also eatin the shoots til i was sick of em.
   there not bad at all. I've made the jelly once but forgot how i did it. So i just smashed some roots
   up and boiled em away.What a great red color. I did taste it ,didn't taste like much of anything, I here the NA
   used to use honey for sweetener. Well next time I'll try that,, by the way the wife left it out and it fermented
   overnight smells great .No preserves no shelf life. Smilax whiskey in a wine in a month or so.

Has anyone ever colored there sinew with dye like Al Herrin talks about? I think Briar root would work great.

JB

Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline square shooter

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:10:09 am »
I'm eating a powder that's made up of a lot of herbs. Its designed to rebuild a joint that's wore out. One of the herbs is cats claw bark - uncaria tomentosa. It is one of 19 herbs in the blend. And it seems to be working. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 04:26:15 am »

Square Shooter, The " Cat's Claw " that is in the herbal mixture, is from the South American Cat Claw herb.  It is used for  inflammatory arthritis, and stomach ulcers.  So that could be why you are felling better. ;)  It is also a climbing vine, and has claws that hold it to the trees and such.  They use the bark from the vine.  It is also used for cancer treatment, immune system, and gout.  It is known down there as " Una De Gato "  They put a little lemon juice in the teas, or tinctures, to release the tannins.  It is a great immune booster.  What I have read about it says a small amount can increase the immune system by fifty percent.  In Europe it is a prescription only supplement.   Just don't let the FDA find that out, it will be banned here, because it is effective, and the Drug Companies can't patent it. ;) ::)

Wayne

Offline square shooter

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 03:17:53 am »
Thanxx Stickbender. Ya, there are some herbs already taken away from us here in the multitude of nations, Ephraim. As the ones who have hijacked our country by infiltration get more power, they're forcing us more into communism ands taking away our blessings. That's why we all need to keep learning more how to live off the land and do for ourselves- and not end up joining the beast power.  I even saw a bamboo bicycle on the net. Had regular wheels tho. But Hey, I know some out there could make the Conastoga type wheels. I could. I just gave away 2 real ones. But they are heavy. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 05:29:45 pm »
I'm eating a powder that's made up of a lot of herbs. Its designed to rebuild a joint that's wore out. One of the herbs is cats claw bark - uncaria tomentosa. It is one of 19 herbs in the blend. And it seems to be working. 

And what is this Herbal Mix called? I have Degenerative Joint Disorder...along with a Massive Motorcycle Injury to my Right Hip and Knee...may be worth looking into...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »
 Aww come on,, let's don't spoil this by drifting out of topic and talking about Commies. :'( The cat's claw I saw in Brazil look's and scratches just like the stuff in Florida. We call it "wait a minute" vines.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?