Author Topic: Electricity question.  (Read 9712 times)

Offline Timo

Re: Electricity question.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:12 pm »
Jesse, if it is a pottery kiln, it will have to be converted. All the coils pulled out, new ones installed,new switches. I did a how to about it some time ago. I'll try to look it up a let ya know.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »
you could have the electrician build you a power cord and run it from the dryer plug in the laundry room.  ???

Gee I think I heard that somewheres already in this Post...... ::)........ ;).......... ;D

And Timo....You are most likely correct...but I have one that is 120/230...ond it works fine on 110 volt Household...but then it says it's convertible...my buddies Mother has one...and it is only 220/230...and it's like you said...you need to pull out the Coils...make new ones...and rewire it for 110 with a 110/120 Rheostat and all...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »
this one says 120/220 . i replaces the 220 plug with a 120 plug. Its plugged in and on a test run right now. its been on high for 2 hours and is at 650* if i can getr another 100* outa it and then figger out how to controll the temp's then I'll be cookin with mow gas! so far so good.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:35:50 am by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:34 pm »
                                                                   ;).... ;).... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:07 am »
you could have the electrician build you a power cord and run it from the dryer plug in the laundry room.  ???

Gee I think I heard that somewheres already in this Post...... ::)........ ;).......... ;D
You said plug it in to the laundry. I am specifying that it can be left in the garage and plugged in to the laundry.  ;) I don't think his significant other would like him leaving that monster kiln in the laundry room.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 12:28:41 am »
My wife don't like my !00 foot exrension Cord for My Cracker Box running through Her Laundry Room and through the Kitchen too much either....... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:48 am »
My wife don't like my !00 foot exrension Cord for My Cracker Box running through Her Laundry Room and through the Kitchen too much either....... ;D
We need to get you a self contained garage complete with microwave, bathroom and 220 volt plug.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:14 am »
We need to get you a self contained garage complete with microwave, bathroom and 220 volt plug.  ;D

That woud be Nice...when can We start...... >:D....My 2 car garage is so full...only my Shelby and Harley can fit...and then it's tight.... ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 08:13:37 am »
If things work out I have a nice Gear oven that got under water in the flood,I am going to replace
it with a new one in my work shop,if the insurance don't pick it up I plan on bringing it home and dry it out and see if it will still work.I am not sure how hot it will get but we use it to heat Transmission gears and cam gears to install.I think it will  get 7 or 8 hundred degrees. :) and it is easy to control.    :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:32 am »
Cool pappy! I'm sure it would work on rock.

I just got electrocuted twice from my kiln. 1st time was an axedent then i was like wow did that just happen, so i tuched it again with the other hand... yep it got me :)
 Some how i have a slight current running through the metal thats around the out side of the kiln.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:39 am »
May be one of the coils are touching the case and not insulated.Or a ground problem.I can see the head lines now,Man killed while cooking rock. ;) ;D ;D   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:48 am »
yea I'll have to check it.. also i really need to clean this kiln up. i am just making sure it will work before i spend the money to fix it up.

It just jolted me a little made my left shoulder a little sore. eah just 120v  ;D
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:07 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Your tough.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:26 pm »
well i have two nobs in this kiln with 3 settings on each knob ( low , med , high )
 low/low = 275*  witch will work for drying
 low/med = 325*
 med/med = i don't know because that killed the outlet. I tryed flipping the fuse at the breaker but nothing hapend. I'm going to get a power converter before i run it anymore. Also need to figger out how to get that outlet to work again.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 12:40:15 pm »
Most things I have seen that run on 220 will draw double the amps if you attempt to just switch plugs. Are you sure there is not some wires that have to be changed over in the control box to swithch it. 120v can kill you. I rewired a jacuzzi once to 120 but had to change the wiring configuration per the instructions. Nothing to play with too much to loose if something goes wrong. Steve