Author Topic: Snowed In!  (Read 6550 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Snowed In!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:43:55 am »
     Joe;
     My cousin in Trego Wisconsin, sent me a picture a few years back, of a black bear, that had climbed a tree, and was hibernating in an Eagle's nest !  I guess all the good dens were taken, and this all that was left.  The game warden that took the picture, would not reveal the location, so no one would disturb it.  It was up a pretty good ways.  But it supported it's weight, and I guess he spent the winter there, or finally found some place else, and dug a den.  I would think it would get pretty cold up there. :o  But being a young inexperienced bear, I guess, it thought it would be pretty cool to have the only bear high rise! 8)

Wayne

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 10:16:57 am »
A bear in an eagle's nest to take a long sleep would be something to see.  Some of the nests that have been used for many years are humongous!  There used to be one on Frank's Island in Yellowstone that they claimed weighted over a ton.  Would like to see a picture of the eagle bear!
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »
 There is one not far from my house that has been there for a long time. It looks like you could put a VW in it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:19:40 pm »

Joe, I don't know if I still have it.  I tried to google "hibernating in eagle's nest" but just got "chatek vacation guide", with the story, but no photographs.  I gave up trying to find it.  It was in the St. Paul Pioneer press, march 17, 2004.  It tells how they found the bear in the nest.
                                                                            Wayne

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »
Well, some days are just better than others.  Got a big box of coral from Eddie Parker in the mail today along with the new issue of the PA mag.  I grew up on jasper, agate, and obsidian so to have a box of coral to try is a real treat for me.  The plan is to make some hunting points (Ishi style) to hunt a Yukon moose using the bow James Parker made for me and the tonken cane arrows Chris Cade made for me this fall.  Will surely be healed up by then.  We live a fairly isolated life so having a PA family to identify with is a bonus I never planned on at this stage of my life.  Just not a high percentage of folks that share my passion for the stick, string and stone way of life!  Thanks Eddie for the wonder box of rocks!  a/ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »
 Have fun with it, my friend. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?