Author Topic: Snowed In!  (Read 6551 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Snowed In!
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:06 am »
Well, its been snowing ever since I got home from the Classic.  Most of it melted as it fell, but the last couple of days it started piling up and last night the wind did a good job of making drifts.  Not sniveling because the electricity is still on.  Can't get to my mountain pasture horses and that is a worry!  My neighbor called and said the valley griz headed back up country via the county road and the bench across the field.  Thats good news if a fellow has to head to the barn in the middle of the night.  The real problem is getting to town to mail the "3000 mile stole" bow back to Pappy!  When I left Twin Oaks Sunday morning I loaded up all the bows I had beat the gang out of and headed west.  When I got home the bow count was right, but there was one really nice finished one side bow that I did not recognize.  I wondered when I had made that trade?  Being semi senile I gave up trying to remember.  If I can't remember names I surely can't remember trades.  Pappy sent an email describing a bow that was missing and had I possibly loaded it up that get away morning?  Now you can only imagine how low I felt after the way Pappy has treated me the last couple of years!  I told him you just can't trust them damned old Indians.  At least the posse will have a tough time trying to come in and string me up with all the snow!  One of the most embarrassing things I ever pulled and thats saying something!  MY BAD >:D >:D >:D  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Snowed In!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:30:00 am »
Not a problem Joe,and you don't need to worry yourself about it. Send it when you get time.I am just glad I found it. No snow here ,low 80s and clear for now,You always know when the Classic is over,the rain stops. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »
Well Joe ...I hope the Horses fare well...and the Griz and Wolves leave them be.... as for the Bow....I bet Pappys got another one lying around somewhere..... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »
 That's okay Joe, I left a great character bow for everybody last year and nobody would take it. And your weather sure makes me feel glad I live in Florida, going snorkeling for Coral next weekend. And you should have a box at the post office.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:57:09 pm »

Got the tractor out and plowed out the lane.  Went to town and put the Stole Bow in the mail.  Its still snowing.  Saw lots of elk on the way to town.  Must be some kind of fun diving for coral!  Joe

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »
dang, its been almost 90 here!  good ole spring time in texas!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
It's been 90 here too...90mph....winds that is...Upper 80's with gusts in the Upper 80's to low 90's....tearing every living thing a new XXX
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:05:33 pm »
28 degrees this morning and 68 degrees at ten twenty.  Spring in the Rockies!  The cow elk are starting to show up by themselves so calving time is close!  Can't seem to heal up this bum elbow so still haven't been able to shoot my Classic bows and arrows and its killing me!  Making a tooled belt for my brother so have been able to stay somewhat sane.  Have a beautiful slab of coral that Eddie gave me and it also is calling to me and old Ishi stick.  Still feel blessed to have met so many like minded people at the Classic.  So hello to all of you that might read this and thanks for the good time I had at Twin Oaks.  Joe

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:25:59 pm »
 I am glad that you got to come over and visit with us  brother... thanks for all you do and for your friendship  Kola... heading back to Texas this afternoon.. will really miss the mountains.. and the cool weather..see you when I get back.. Hawk.. 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 02:45:18 pm »
Hawk:  You be careful not to get hurt with all that big equipment.  Hope you get to stick some of those hogs we hear so much about!  I was really looking forward to going carp shooting and now is the time!  Sure going to miss the Hustons this summer.  If there is any thing you need me to do just call!  A/ho Udo

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »

Injuns!!! :o  Somebody get a rope!! >:D Hey, whar did that bow go?  I laid it right h'yar, and turned around and it wuz just plain gone! :o  Hey, is them moccasin prints?!  Wal I'll be......sum Injun done gone and got my bow!  Now whut in the world would an Injun want with my bow?....huh? ....oh, yeah,.... uh......never mind. ::)

Joe, I sure wish, we had some of that weather down here, despite what ol wussy, Eddie says.  He gets goose bumps at 70 degrees.  Needs more iron in his system!  Yep they are going after more coral, and I can't go with them, I have a Family get together on that Sat. . :(  But hopefully I will be able to make a trip with them, before I go out to Montana again.  I am going out in July, for a month, and then come back and load up some stuff, and start carting it back out to Montana.  The house is finished!  Just got to get this place emptied, and cleaned up , and on the market.  I hope you don't have any problem with the Griz.  You have a front end loader?  Makes a great problem solver of nuisance critters..... ;) >:D  Keep yer pistol or rifle handy while traveling out side......Never leave home without it. ;)  Hope the horses are alright.

Wayne

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:48:03 pm »
Wayne:  You got them Indians figured out.  Finally got to get to the horses today and they are fine, thanks.  Planning on going to Helena this coming week end to haul my grand daughter's belongings to her.  We have a lone cow elk hanging in a rocky draw across from the house and we hope she calves there.  You need to come by for a visit when you get a chance.  Just don't bring a bow you want to keep!  Joe

butterbean

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:35:33 pm »
 Hey, stickbender, If youcan't make that coral run with mullet maybe he'll share. He said he shipped a box to wolfwatcher. Oh, I think he has handled more real cold weather than most on here. He probally got smarter along with being the good looking one in the family.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 10:56:04 pm »
     Joe, I would love to stop by some time.  I have cousins in Billings.  In fact the Elder cousin is from Riverton, and his Daughter n Law, is from Thermopolis.  They all live in Billings now.  His Grand Daughter is getting married in August, so I will be there for that, but I won't have the time to make any side trips, as the "Newly Weds" are going to be staying at my place in Thompson Falls, for their honey moon. 8)  I want to take them on the scenic tour, of the area.  I should have them injuns figured out alright.  My Father's grand mother was full Cherokee, and a good friend of mine is Apache.   ;)  When I was in the army, I had a Friend who was Sioux.  He always wore his little beaded medallion, his Grand Mother made for him.  One night, after a GI party, and everyone was sitting outside, and drinking a few beers, and smoking.......uh, yeah, smoking, ......we heard this drumming coming from inside, and this chanting, sing song, going on, and we go in, and there he is, sitting on his bunk, with the metal trash can turned upside down, and eyes closed, and just lost in his own world.  Well being typical GI's, we didn't want to intrude on his tranquil meditation, so......yeah, right, we all grabbed what we could find for a drum, and kept up with him. >:D  Didn't phase him one bit..... ;D  We had one guy, whose last name was  Eagle.  One day were sitting around talking, and they were going to town, for the evening, and all of a sudden it hit me, and I started laughing out loud, and he somehow knew, when he said, you're going to do something to me aren't you?  Why perish the thought. ::)  Just go on out and have a good time.  ::) Well they did.  But when they came back in about 12 or 1 a.m. or so, Poor Mr. Eagle, was somewhat surprised at his bunk.  I took the mattress, and bedding off.  On each rack was the last name of the person sleeping in that bunk.  Well, when he got back he found an Eagle's nest, instead of a mattress, and bedding! ;D >:D  Well what would expect for someone named Eagle? ;D I had gone over to the park next to us, and gathered bunch of sticks, and twigs, and leaves, and then proceeded to make an Eagle's nest.  I took some feathers from my pillow, and lined it, and put some on the outside.  Fortunately, he got a big kick out of it, and had to take pictures with it, and send them home.  People must have thought I was nuts, I was laughing the whole time, I was gathering the materials.
I hope your elbow gets better, and you get to try out all those new bows.  You need to put some of that Montana Emu oil on it! I hope all goes well with Elk calving.  Our calf numbers was up a little bit from last year, which is good.  Since they introduced the wolves, the numbers have declined.  Thankfully they had a mild winter, so that helped.  Keep your eyes peeled for the Griz.  He would love to sneak in at dark, and grab a calf!  Take care,

Wayne

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:42 pm »
Wayne:  The first elk calf of the season showed up on the hill across the road.  We have had so many problems with the wolves and grizzlies that any calf is a blessing!  The moose that we would see every day are all but gone!  On one of my trips to Oklahoma to visit our ansestor's Indian grave yard there was one of my relatives with a stone that read, "HE WAS AN HONEST INDIAN"!  Well that would be a pretty good thing to be remembered by!  It will work out for us to get together someday and maybe Huston will be through with Texas and we can show you some of Wyoming.  We don't get to town to check the mail very often, but since Eddie said he sent me some coral I am going to make it if I have to ride my mule!  Joe     An eagle's nest would not make for a very comfortable bed!