Author Topic: My Turkey Bow (Part 2)  (Read 11257 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

My Turkey Bow (Part 2)
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:46:13 pm »
OK, after some reworking, and a rawhide backing, this years turkey bow is finished.  This little osage bow is 52" NTN, and 54" overall.  It is pulling 55# at 28", and really screams an arrow.  After shooting it all week, its holding about 2" of follow.   I ended up having to back it, so I used rawhide, and sponged a camo finish on it.  The arrows I made for this bow are maple, and come in at 760gr.   The bow and arrows are just in time for my trip to Nebraska on Monday.  Hopefully I will have some more pics to share after this little bow makes meat.

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline tom sawyer

Re: My Turkey Bow (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:14:54 pm »
Very nice turkey bow.  Good luck on your hunting trip.  Do you shoot for the head or try for the vitals?  What sort of broadhead are you going to use?  I've had terrible luck trying to kill turkeys with a bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:33:13 pm »
A nice short bow :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:09:22 pm »
good lookin' weapon. Turkeys should be beginning to tremble in fear.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:14:08 pm »
It looks like the string angle is greater than 90 degrees on the full-draw picture - are you noticing any stack the last few inches of draw?

The bow looks very nicely made.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:27:59 pm »
Looks like a very nice setup. Tiller looks good and so do the arrows. I made a set a few years ago with the same color fletching...even the white splice.
  I took a hunters safety course last year and they told us not to use red, white, blue or black when hunting turkeys. Some fool may mistake you for a turkey. Be careful and good luck.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:02:31 pm »
Thant's a really nice bow, good job keeping it short and the draw long.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 06:40:55 pm »
Looks like a winning combo, good luck on the hunt.
VB

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:29 pm »
 Thanks for all the nice comments.

Tom Sawyer - I am going to shoot for the body.  I am using my STOS 160s.   I havent shot a turkey with a bow yet, but from what I've gathered, you want to hit 'em about where the wing meets the body if broadside.

Gordon - The bow does stack quite a bit.  This is my first really short bow, I think I will bend some recurve into the tips of the next one I make to try and alleviate some of the stacking.

Pat B. - I'm going to be hunting Nebraska during archery only, so I hope some would not shoot at my fletching!  :o

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 07:24:26 pm »
  I've seen alot of turkeys lost shooting for the vitals,unless real good or lucky shot.A turkey has to run to fly.If you hit them in the thigh,which is easier,they can't run or fly.Then you just have to miss the broadhead and spurs while you grab and strangle. :D  P.S. use big broadheads
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 02:42:15 am »
I do love them short bows and that a good one. I always shoot just behind  the wing body junction. I really love the paint job. Other than complete misses, I always got my bird. Whereabouts in Nebraska are you going?

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 03:50:41 am »
Nice backing.  That's a good bow for a turkey blind.  Then again, what would an Oregonian know about turkey hunting. ::)

J. D. Duff

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 09:53:50 am »
Sweet looking short bow Titan. Good luck huntin

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 10:16:42 am »
great looking bow! I'm wondering that does the bow take set because of the very long draw? Even if it were sinew backed I'd only use 26" draw.
and no cryshals I assume? Love the stainjob on the rawhide. very neat.

Offline lowell

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 10:09:45 am »
Was wondering about any updates to this thread.  Really like the look of your bow and it has inspired me!!

How did the bow work in the blind??

How did the hunter work?? LOL

After hunting this year outside a blind, I have a year to make a short turkey bow to I can use in a blind.. My draw is 26 inches and I like to shoot 45 to 50 lbs.

Is 52" ntn pretty much as short as I would go too. Thanks for any help.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!