Author Topic: Some stoneage (pre-contact) NA bows (not bom)  (Read 17707 times)

half eye

Some stoneage (pre-contact) NA bows (not bom)
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »
Hey fellas,
       Got a bug to do some bows with "natural tools". I've got 4 done and an Inuit cable-back....that has yet to get it's cables  (that's going to take some time) Anyway, there are two types of chippewa, an ottawa, a short double curve plains bow of black walnut, and the Inuit which is made from a single white oak barrel stave. All the bows are unbacked, split out boards, sanded / carved / finished with rocks. The detail carving on the scallops, knock fineals etc was done with a onondaga chert blade ( from ancient archer).....even used that blade to whittle out the curly maple handle that's it hafted to.
        All the bows (3) are white ash, the ntn's, style, etc is at the title of @ pic. All the bows weigh between 44# & 48# except the 53" chippewa which draws 56# @ 27". The arrow in all the pics is the same one and it's 27" from rear of the head to the bottom of the string knock. All the bows have been drawn and shot to 26". I posted some penetration pics in the hunting section under "hunting with NA "d" bows) these things shoot pretty hard.
       The last photo is a semi-headon shot of how I shoot them. Notice the "open" stance, slightly bent at the waist, and the floating anchor. Since I'm aiming way left of the photographer the stance doesn't look to be very "open" but generally I am approx. 45 degrees to the target....that is what I mean by open stance.
       Hope ya like them....they were fun to make and a blast to shoot, they are tough bows and shoot hard....I sure like them. If you want some detail pics of any of the bows I'll post some here./....just didn't want to bury ya in pics.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

Re: Some stoneage (pre-contact) NA bows (not bom)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »
More pics

half eye

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:28:55 pm »
We are almost done

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 03:37:48 pm »
WOW Rich u are a MANIAC!  I mean is u are one heck of a bowyer!  That is awesome!  It looks like it shoot pretty good too as I noticed the arrows sticking out the other end of the target.  I cant say enough about the detail and effort you put in to making your bows Rich.  Talk to u soon!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »
Wow Rich!  You've been busy again.  Really beautiful work, as always.

Are the scallops on the Ottawa asymmetrical or is it just the angle we're seeing it at?  And is the Chippewa scallop bow single sided or double with the scallops?  Can't wait to hear about cabling that Inuit bow.  Make sure you get good draw weight figures before and after!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:45:02 pm by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »
damn it man i cant keep up ! i love the attention to detail , and the amount of bend in those short bows ! btw i finished the double handle glue up your method worked like a charm no delams at all . thanks

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »
Impressive!! to make those bows with only a few stone tools. Yep you've been busy, wouldn't mind to see some more details of those ash bows and you dont mention the lengths of the other 2 , they look pretty short though. Nice work
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

half eye

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 06:37:35 pm »
Thanks for the comments, like I said it was fun.
Ken, the ottawa scallops get smaller as you go toward the tip (Annishanabii), and the Chippewa bows were only scalloped on one side
Dragonman, the ottawa ash is 45", the black walnut is 46", chippewa double curve is 48" and the chippewa staright bow is 53", and the oak cable backed is 49".

Here's some detail shots: The carving on the ottawa was done with the saw/ file (chert knife) in the pics the black is charcoal and the finish made from fat. The pale green color is made from gree basswood leaves.....the red and dk green on the chippewa are acrylic paint because I aint figured out how to make that yet.
Rich

half eye

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:39:53 pm »
here's the rest of 'em

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »
Wow! :o
 Really like all of tham! Great work!

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
Partner you are a machine!

Never stop. I can why you have to post NOT for BOM, Because you would be there all of the time.....

Thanks for the teaching in pics.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:12:38 pm »
Awesome work,  Even more impressive given your tool choice.  Too bad you don't want your work included in BOM, you would get my vote for sure.
Traverse City, MI

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 11:22:21 pm »
Hey Rich looks like Im going to have to make u a big Onondaga blade!  That should help!  Also an axe...again excellent work my friend! TTYL...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:02:33 pm »
Love these Bows!!!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:20:26 pm »
More incredible artwork/bowmaking from a fantastic guy. Your an inspiration on many levels. Thank you for continuing to share, my friend.

-Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery