Author Topic: a funny longbow story  (Read 9874 times)

Offline markinengland

Re: a funny longbow story
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »
Dragonman,

If you weren't well welcomed in a GNAS club I'm not suprised. Some 10 years ago I was the first to join and shoot longbow in the local GNAS club (having made and shot wooden bows all my life) and they were very suspicious of my yew bow I made myself. I found a better "home" in an NFAS club.

There are a growing number of people making wooden bows in the UK. Many start off making longbows and then end up more on the primitive side. Perhaps we will meet up one day at an NFAS shoot in the primitive class? Yes, there are some prats that just don't understand or see bows like we do, but that is their loss. If they are happy shooting their expensive limp high set bows. so what? Strange how a bow can perfom so badly, have so much set, be sao long yet stull break!

There is a small group called PAAS - Prehistoric Archery and Atlatl Society, an offshoot of SPTA Society for the Preservation of Traditional Archery. We meet up from time to time to talk over a camp fire and beers about the big bow that got away, do archery demonstrations or just make stuff. Why not look us up? We may be meeting up at Flag Fen near Peterborough later in the year.

I really like the idea of their being a UK wooden bow makers gathering.

Re wild boar, I have seen their signs in Kent (dug up turf etc) but not seen any actual animals.

Final word to UK bowyers - Don't let the barstards grind you down!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 12:34:37 am »
I get the same thing once in a while. Guys will say stuff like you actually hunt with that? I dont think they realize that the wooden bow was the prime weapon for hunting and warfare for thousands of years.  When I was first getting into shooting a trad bow about 15 years ago I was practicing at an indoor range and naturally some of my shots were not hitting were they should. This compound shooter comes up to me all angry and starts giving me a lecture about how hitting an animal with non lethal shots is unethical. I tried to explain that I was practicing so I could get better and not planning to just go fling an arrow and hope ::). Some people are just that way I guess.  Im guessing those kind of people are jerks all the time and are most likely offended because of the degree of skill required to shoot a traditional bow well. I can grab one of their bows and drill bulls eyes all day. Hand them my bow and this type of person wont try it because they are afraid of looking bad :)  Most people I run into are good though :) 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline dwardo

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:45 am »
Dragonman,

PM me maybe we can get together and start something like the Mojam in the US. Del are you up for this?
Pete

Sounds like a great idea to me! I may even be able to sort out some woodland to play in, and possibly pinchy some staves from too ;)

PS Chester Northwales, access to a bit o woodland near llangollen.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:38:43 pm by dwardo »

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 11:43:33 am »
Whayever is decided or suggested, keep it in this thread so we (UK woodbenders) know where to look!  Bob in Surrey (v. near to Backgardenbowyer)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »
I'd be up for a nice informal meet up/shoot/chinwag/drink/eat  as long as it wasn't a million miles away.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

HatchA

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »
Any chance an Irish woodbender could wangle an invite to one such gathering...? ;)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:26 pm »
Thanks Horace for that contact, I'll  definately check it out. Yes, Inyati, thanks for the imput, a uk. mojam would be a great idea, I'm  definately interested, we must talk more,  Woodland near to LLangollen, would be great Dwardo, I know that area, very beautifull part of Wales. All interested parties, Markinenland, backgardenbowyer, and the rest, lets put our heads together and make it happen. A venue would be the first step. Preferably central because we all come from different parts of the country, but the uk isnt so big we cant get to most places, I'll bet people travel long distances to get to the USA mojam. HatchA your definately invited, we cant do without the Irish contingent. Trouble is I'm not much of a front man, but would like to try and make it happen.
   There arent any NFAS clubs any wherenear where I live , Backgarden, thats the only reason I joined the GNAS, ( not even sure what they stand for!!!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:48:10 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 07:42:29 pm »
Whereabouts are you dragonman?  I think most of the wood bowyers who've replied from UK are in the South, but we are always prepared to travel if there is a venue and maybe even somewhere to camp.  The idea of a meet for primitive bowyers to swap stories, trade, do a bit of shooting amd maybe a bit of bowmaking together would be great.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 07:49:21 pm »
BGB I'm based in S.W. Wales
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline dusty

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »
I was invited to a indoor GNAS practice night I turn up with my Black Walnut self bow 50lb draw weight and got some real funny looks and comments that you don't shot that do you by the end of the night the chairman came along and told me not to bring "That Bow" again as I had blown the center of the target out at twenty yards and the target was a in need of repair.
My response was so your guys don't hit the center that often then do they even with all them bit bolted to your bows
Let just say I did not go back

I found my home with in the NFAS

They will let you shoot any bow as long as it is safe

There is a small but growing group of archers in the UK that love shooting  bows that they have made

Offline spinney

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 05:09:39 pm »
Hi Guys
Just returned from my Holiday and found this thread a few pages down.
So just added this post to bump the thread up to the front page.

I think we should give this idea of a "Britsh Mojam" serious consideration.
I for one have never met another Britsh Bowyer. I Have met several USA bowyers on my lucky travels across the pond and gained a wealth of information from Steve Gardinor (badger) and Rich Safford.
I would like to pass some of my knowledge to others  as well as learn new things.

Could this be the start of something new?

I hope so!

Andrew.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »
Hi all,
I would be willing to try something out in the UK if there is guys to turn up?????
i am from the east of the UK.
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.