Author Topic: Sudbury Indian Hickory Bow  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Sudbury Indian Hickory Bow
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:01 am »
Hey all! I've been lurking around the sight for a while now and finally got the courage to post some pics of my bows. Here's the first even though its not 100% "from scratch." I got the Sudbury Indian Hickory "stave" in a floor tillered state from another PA member (rudderbows) and immediately fell in with its sexy curves. Unfortunately, by the time I was done tillering it most of those special flares had been reduced to the point that it almost looks like a "regular" American Flatbow. The flares really gave me some trouble as the limbs seemed to want to twist. After I rid myself of the majority of the problem I noticed that I couldn't get the twist out of the very end of one limb. Finally I gave up and went caveman on it by cutting the offending end off (about 4 inches) then doing the same on the other end. This solved the twist problem...but the tillering fun began again. It came together beautifully in the end with a length of 64" (62" ntn) and 57# @ 28". I added the prairie rattlesnake skins, stamped cow leather to the fades and a contoured grip overlay wrapped in camo tape that makes this bow one of the most comfortable shooters I have ever held.

Hope you all approve!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Almostpighunter

Re: Sudbury Indian Hickory Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:04 am »
Flat view

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:58 am »
flat view again...this time with Pic... ;D

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:09:28 am »
Back view

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:10:13 am »
Belly

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:10:55 am »
Grip from the side

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:43 am »
Nice Bow....but I am a little Perplexed....why did you lose the Curves while Tillering a Sudbury Bow? All of the Wood Removal should have been off of the Belly...besides rounding the edges...I have made dozens of these from Staves and Boards...and you have to watch the Boards...if the Grain is wrong...the Limbs will twist...good luck on the next one....because there will be another... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:25:16 am »
I agree. I went about removing wood solely at the belly but when the twist occurred I followed the advice from some fellow archers I shoot with who told me that twist was caused by wood being thicker on one edge as compared to the other. One of the TBB books confirmed this and, given the shape of the sudbury bow, it made sense (at the time) and the end result is as you now see (I am actually very pleased despite the loss of the curves). I understand completely what you are saying about the wood; however, I am also very willing to believe that it was every bit a problem with the bowyer as opposed to the material. Thanks for your comment!

"Remember, REAL men blame their equipment."

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:40 am »
If you need any help on a Future Bow...don't be afraid to ask...I am a lover of the Curved Limbs...my faves to build are the Sudbury....Wampanoag....and Hupa Bows...gotta love the Curves.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:51:54 am »
Nice bow.  I like the skins.  Be carefull and don't fall off of the chair.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:50 am »
Good looking bow, and an interesting handle design. I've found several times myself that a particular piece of wood just didn't want to be what I had planned it to be- and in those cases, you just have to listen to the wood. How about a braced and full-draw shot?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

half eye

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:32 am »
Allmost,
      Like El D, I make a lot of NA bows with Asymetrical limbs, yours looks very nice. I think they are terrific shooters, and usually shoot hard, smooth and quiet. Like the other fellas said, ya might just as well be thinkin about what yer gonna do next, cause it's sneekin up on ya allready......like I said very nice.
Rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:41 am »
Sweet looking bow,love the finish work,not really into that kind of grip but looks like you put a lot of work into it,that is what is cool about selfbows,to each there own.Nice work. Love to see a full draw pic. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:02:53 am »
Nice job and congratultions!  That is an interesting grip - looking forward to seeing more of your work!
1’—>1’

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 11:01:04 am »
I do approve, Parnell. That bow came out great! For the record, to fix a twist, you remove wood from the belly on the opposite side of the twist. This applies to twists caused by uneven wood removal. Removing wood from the sides won't do it or at least I dont see how it would. But ...I digress the bow is beautiful. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!