Author Topic: Was made an offer whats ur Opinions people  (Read 1608 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Was made an offer whats ur Opinions people
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »
Hey guys was offered by Hal Clark to get some prime Tn chert for 50cents a lb.  but I have to get at least 500lbs.  It sounds too good to be true but then again Craig Ratzat told me hed hook me up when I get to his quarry too.  What do u all think ye or nay.  Im thinking 500lbs sounds nice but it may just as well cost a lot for shipping. Has anyone ordered a mass amount of stone do they ship it in large flat rates.  Well thanks guys sorry a boring post but if it works out well I will have some samples... ;)

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Was made an offer whats ur Opinions people
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »
Russel.
50 cents a lb is most likely for raw rock, that means unspalled and sometimes unchecked for quality.  I would not have it shipped unless you see it first.  If you are going to craigs quarry it would pay you to stop and check out the tennesee altho it is a bit out of the way.  I don't know Hal, but to many times I have bought some stone and it was crap. 500 lbs is a lot to ship unless he has access to a truck terminal and discount rates and can ship it in a drum.  Will still cost you almost as much as the rock. if you ship it in Large flat rate boxes you would need probably 16-18 boxes at $15 each will still cost you 250 bucks now your stone is a dollar a lb and it still raw rock. Be sure you know what your getting in for. You might do better at a knap-in and pick it up there. You can see it and pick what you want your self.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:22:01 pm »
Thanx Steve thats my thoughts exactly.  Im not sure I will make Bald Eagle this year but if not there maybe I will see u in Letchworth.  Thanks for ur reply!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:51:48 am »
Russell
 I am heading up thursday Morning and if you get a chance come on  down. I may be a t  letchworth this year. I am going in for vertebrae fusion on the 19th of July So if I come to letchworth this year it may be as an observer and not a vendor.  maybe I'll just leave the trailer loaded  from Bald Eagle and bring it to New York  like it is.  You can't go wrong at craigs let me know if your going.
Steve

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:42:08 pm »
Steve gonna ry real hard to get to Letchworth and looking forward to meeting u as well.  I spoke to that guy and if I go to SC I will stop and check it out cant hurt ...but getting a gut feeling to not waste my time.  Thanks and see u soon!

Russ