Author Topic: One type of native bow treatment/ fat and pitch  (Read 3241 times)

half eye

One type of native bow treatment/ fat and pitch
« on: June 26, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »
Hey fellas,
       Had some folks ask me what it was that went into the fat finish I was putting on my self bows. So took a few picks today while "greasing one up". Basically the recipe is animal fat (or crisco, or lard) mixed with pitch (I use spruce but any will do) ya boil that up in what ever proportion that works in your area......if it's a hot climate a little more pitch, if its a cold cilmate then a little less pitch. The pitch does 2 things, first it helps the fat penetrate because it raises the temperature of the mix, and second it will actually assist the fat to "harden" (as in not runny while hot) There is also a minor benifit that after repeated use the cells of the wood sort of get filled and the bow will keep it's elasticity for a long time. In this part of Michigan I been using 1/3 pitch to 2/3 fat, you may have to tweek form there though.
       A Smithsonian report from actual native americans stated that they layed their bows flat while resting and that they were rubbed down before being put away and everytime they were redied for use. Anyway here's the steps by the @. hope it answers the questions. Oh ya, while loading up the pics thw one shot is the limb tips getting "soaked" in the boiling stuff, it end grain so they get the stuff put right to 'em.  Also WARNING: this stuff gets really hot (radiator steam hot) so be carefull when ya dip your rag and spread it, that rag can burn ya 2-3 minuets after ya start rubbing!!!!!
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: One type of native bow treatment/ fat and pitch
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:03:44 pm »
Cool stuff, Half eye. I'll definitely give this a try. I use pitch varnish on primitive arrows and to seal sinew wraps so this will fit right in.
  Another CAUTION!  be careful you don't get this mixture hot or leave it cooking on the stove unattended. It is a very volatile mixture and will burst into flames if left unattended.   :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:41:02 pm »
Thanks!  I have a ton of pitch I've collected too!  Now if the wife hadn't thrown out my bear fat :)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:07:12 pm »
That's OK, Jeff.  Just walk boldly into her kitchen and grab the Crisco or Lard container.  "Gonna make some bow finish, Honey.  Sure wish I had my bear fat, but this'll do..."
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:42:10 am »
Very cool, thanks for sharing this.  If I ever finish this next bow I'm building I'm going to give a prim. finish a try.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »
Will that work with Osage?  Or should I stick with pig's blood, (Providing I Can Kill One).  Oh yes, I am down here in Alabama, the daily temps are getting into the 90"s, would I be better off with putting bee'swax on the bow and then setting it in my truck?  Bill

half eye

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 01:58:41 pm »
hey Bill,
     We get the very occassional 90+ and my stuff works ok.....but where you are at and the fact that you dont probably run into very many freezing temps you may wish to go with about 80% pitch and 20% fat.....maybe even 90-10. Pitch is basically epoxy glue and the fat will keep it from setting completely hard (not good for a bows' elasticity) but you dont want it so soft it's "runny" in constantly hot temps either (that would not hurt the bow but you might not like it too much).
    The best example I can give is the way the Odawa & Ojibwa made their Birch Bark sealer for canoes. They were sealed and sewed, but so they would not be "brittle" in the extreme cold of winter they mixed in between 5% and 15% fat, it still sealed very well but was not brittle.
    I have no direct experience with Osage wood. But I have put this stuff on American Hornbeam and it worked real well. Try some a scrap piece of wood, and the results will surprise you.....when ya put it on hot the bow is like covered in snot, as it cools it turns to greasy feeling, then to waxy feeling. When it gets that point take a dry cloth and rub it very briskly then do the same with your bare hand. Set the bow (or arrows) aside for a few hours in a shady place. When you go back to the bow it will feel dry to the touch but very smooth. You wont really believe that it is not greasy to the touch. After the first couple "hot rubs" simply use your grease rag cold and do the rub down thing and wipe for touch up's. I do it when I put the bows up, and again before I take em' down to go hunting or whatever.
Rich

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »
OK, thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.  I have three bows that need finishing, I'll try that on my least favorite and see how it works.  If I decide a year from now to lower the poundage, can you touch up the finish?  Bill

half eye

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »
Thats the beauty of it Bill, you can scrape the belly down to clean wood and put the stuff on ....never know it wasn't the same as before.f course it will take some time to achieve the same depth of finnish but the protection will be there from the git-go.

If you do that though I think I'd give the bare wood side (belly) a couple of "hot coats" to get the process started and the belly wood cells some "filler".
Rich