Author Topic: HBBC finished pics  (Read 3140 times)

Offline elk country rp

HBBC finished pics
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:36:56 pm »
here she is with a couple coats of black walnut on the back, then 4 coats of tru oil over everything.

70 1/2" ntn, 1 1/2" wide at fades- tapering to 1/2" tips, 3/4" thick at fades- tapering to 7/16" thick at tips. 21 oz, 8" stiff handle, 2" perry reflex (goes flat after shooting, then recovers 1" of reflex over 1/2 hour), ~55# @28" (i'll double check that on a better scale soon)

the back is 1/8" thick ring violated (flat sawn) hickory. i'm hoping that the grain islands on the back will fool the wiley wapiti for that extra spilt second that it takes me to get the shot.

i spent way more time floor tillering this one than i usually do- then it only spent 1/2 hour on the long string. i did most of the tillering with sandpaper- very little rasping & not much scraping. the extra time spent on smoothing the tapers & floor tillering made for a forgiving tiller- the only issue i had was a hinge that tried to develop 3/4 of the way toward the top tip. i think it cost me a few lbs of draw weight, but i'm lovin the way it shoots, so no regrets. it seems to put the arrows where i'm looking at least out to 20-25yds.

i'm not quite getting full draw in these pics- had a little sleep apnea surgery on wednesday & still kinda wobbly on my pins.

hope y'all like her- i sure do!

Rob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: HBBC finished pics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:44:06 pm »
I think it is beautiful!!!!!  That ring-violated backing strip kinda makes me worried though even though people make them like that with hickory all the time.  Full draw looks great on it and I love the scenery there too!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:37:14 pm »
Excellent looking bow Rob.I think i shoulda left the tips thicker on mine,may be where the set come from.Love the violated hickory! ;D
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »
thanks, guys!

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »
Looks like you got a shooter there. Nice work.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:50 pm »
Now I want to try another hickory backed cherry (I top of all the other bows this site makes me envious of!). I have a osage board with a hickory backing that looks just about like that. Still going strong after several hundred shots.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:29:30 pm »
Sorry about the spelling errors in the previous post.  Should be "On top of all..." not "I top of all..." and "an osage board" rather than "a osage board." I am a professor (an a writer) so it bugs me when I misspell!

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »
Love that bow! Backing included.
I just cut myself s'more backing. And took a piece I'd rejected and bent it in a tight "U" shape without it breaking. That's hickory  ;D

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
Bookmarked this fine bow for July's Laminate BOM category  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln