Author Topic: Smithonian  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Smithonian
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:51:27 pm »
spent the 4th of july with my brother-n-law in washington, d.c.  he's been in the air force for over 26 years and had a great time listening to him tell about all the deployments he's been on.  he's a flight engineer with the rescue squadron and has been involved with every military action the u.s. has been in since 1984.  guess that's why he's now a E9 or i think a command chief.  he was transferred to andrews airforce base a little over a year ago and he's getting a kick out of explaining to the fellows in his new squadron that flying around d.c. is not a "real" mission.  he took us onto bolling afb on the potomac to watch the fire works.  it was something else.  there must have been a dozen or more fire work shows going on at one time along the potomac.  he got a chuckle at the heweys flying up and down the river just to burn fuel and log in some flight time.  ended up going to the smithonian a couple times.  saw this odd deer at the natural history museum.  then went to the american indian museum.  it was a little weak in displays of artifacts.  here is a pic of all the points they had on display.  i thought the most intriguing was the rifle that had been repaired using bone and raw hide.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline n2everythg

Re: Smithonian
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 03:33:31 pm »
sounds like a cool trip chris. thanks for the pics.
that deer looks scarey... you dont have any like that down at your place do ya?
Looks like it would take a bite out of you if it caught you in the woods hunting it. :)
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:40:27 pm »
Yeah, ole snaggletooth there is pretty cool. Bet he could hold his own against a hog. that rifle repair, now that's original!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline shikari

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »
the deer is called a musk deer and are native to India and Nepal,The musk from these deer is extremly good smelling and very valuable and prized.They are a protected species and highly endangered due to poaching for their musk.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »
Chris I was a little disappointed when I went a few years ago. The Museum of The American Indians was newly opened. The draws under the glass displays was full of artifacts too. Did you check them out?  Some of the buckskin dresses were the coolest things in that museum. One was covered in elk ivory. Must have weighed a ton.  Most of the cool stuff is in storage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:49:51 pm »
here's a shirt and dress i got some pics of.  i'm hoping to have rebecca make me a war shirt similar to this one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:51:02 pm »
That's pretty cool, Chris.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:55:26 pm »
That will look good with your kilt!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:17 pm »
The drawer setup is kinda confusing, but there is lots of cool stuff to dig out if you are there at a slow time.  My kids wouldn't let me leave the tomahawk drawers!  I was expecting to see more bows, though.  If there was a drawer setup for them, I missed it.  Most were part of displays on a specific tribe. Good luck with the war shirt!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »
 Well, I guess Rebecca could substitute the blue for purple; Then that dress would look good on ya'. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:52 pm »
If you are standing outside the main door of the Museum of the American Indian which faces east turn and face north. Walk across the paved entrance way to the large rocks. There is a small pathway that leads to a small open area among the rocks. There are four stones on the ground that signify the four directions in that small open area. There are usually sage and tobacco ties on the ground on the directional stones. Most traditional Native people who visit the museum go to this area to smudge and pray before going into the building.

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 10:47:15 am »
I have got to get there one day. Although one day probably wouldn't be enough.

Grunt

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:55:56 pm »
I've been there three times and I'm just getting to know my way around. I like the weapons display.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 12:38:35 am »
I thought it was odd they had a full wall display of weapons that were used against the Native Americans but very few of the Native American's defensive weapons; bows!

Grunt

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 08:51:05 am »
I think very few weapons survived because it was US policy to seize and destroy NA defensive weapons. I liked the M-16 used in the contempory Wounded Knee stand off with AIM