Author Topic: Cane shafts dissapointing  (Read 2875 times)

Offline agd68

Cane shafts dissapointing
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »
Hey All.
I got my first batch of cane shafts a few months ago. Sadly I was dissappointed in them. I find my spruce shafts fly faster and more accurately. I also find that the cane seems to loose speed and drop faster than the wooden shafts. I will give them top marks for durability though,tougher than iron. Has anyone else out there found this?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Cane shafts dissapointing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:55:09 pm »
Nope...mine fly like Darts...and Chrony as fast...some faster than POC....I like Bamboo better though...it's denser than Cane....faster than POC...and strong as all get out
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline scattershot

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:08 pm »
Depending on the type of cane, they could be heavier than you are used to. Have you weighed them? Just a thought.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:38:02 am »
I think that is an effect of heavier weight. That is a plus for me, I like heavy arrows for hunting. Those little light shafts that fly at Mach 3 look good on the target range, but they just don't penetrate like one with some weight when you're trying to stick it through a heavy rib or scapula. As far as accuracy, well-made cane arrows are every bit as accurate as commercial wooden shafts or more so if they're straight and matched to your bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:59:08 am »
 I like my bamboo arrows. They fly just as good as some of my carbons and are darn near indestructable.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »
I recently found that I do not prefer cane over wood or shoot arrows. I know this will come as a shock to most people here, but I don't see that cane is all that great. For me overall, I find processing cane and keeping it straight especially at the nodes and therefore flying straight, to be more work and I don't really care for it all that much. Sure it's tough, but that's the only real advantage I see to it. Anymore I've come to prefer my shoot arrows. Wild rose and a couple other species that I don't know what they're called.

CP

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:38 am »
what kind of cane were you using?  you might like a harder species..  ive straightened many dozens of shafts and its gotten easier to straighten.  maybe you just need some more time.  ive shot plenty of them too, and they generally get lost or stuck against something way too hard before they start to get too far out of wack..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:19:21 am »
To me, cane is about a hundred times quicker and easier to straighten and keep straight than hardwood shoots, and I've straightened probably hundreds of each. Hardwood shoot shafts are a ton of work for good ones. You must have gotten some bad cane or young stuff that hasn't matured yet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.