Author Topic: First in a Year - Hickory backed Ipe  (Read 10484 times)

Offline 0209

First in a Year - Hickory backed Ipe
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:57:06 pm »
Its been a while since I've successfully completed a bow and this one took quite some time.  Got to work on it every time I came home on leave and its slowly but surely came together.  Now that I'm back home again I finally got her done.  Its a hickory backed ipe short longbow.  I had it at 72 inches but the tips ended up having some bad propeller twist.  So I cut off the last 6 inches from each limb to rid myself of it and gain some weight.  Worked out well.  Gained some poundage and got rid of the twist.  Anyways here she is.  Thanks for looking and hopefully its up to standards, you guys seem to be churning out some beautiful stuff here lately.

Hickory backed Ipe
60" tip to tip
58" NTN
Unknown poundage (feels around 65-75)
26" drawlength

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: First in a Year - Hickory backed Ipe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:05:35 pm »
Looks great, where's the full draw though?   :) :)   
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 0209

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »
Working on the full draw.  No one to take the picture lol.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:26:34 pm »
Nice bow!

I like the quiver a lot, how is it made?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »
Looks real nice :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:04 pm »
Cool bow!  Looks very "Hill-ish".
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline 0209

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 11:06:13 pm »
The quiver was crafted from a spool of hemp I bought at Wal-Mart. I used a piece of PVC pipe for the frame and draped some hemp cord down the sides of the PVC and proceeded to braid the hemp in and out of the draped pieces.  Took quite a bit of hemp, but well worth it.  For the bottom I used some foam and leater to seal it off and hold the arrows.  Glad it worked out for me.  That make sense?
-Unknown

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 11:40:46 pm »
she is a thing of beauty. Great work
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:05 pm »
Pretty bow, epe is a great wood for bows. Denny

Offline 0209

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 01:14:55 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  They're greatly appreciated. 
-Unknown

Offline SA

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:26:48 am »
like it , the contrast of the hickory is really cool...
Shawn Acker

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 01:48:38 am »
Great looking bow!
Nate Danforth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 06:39:00 am »
Beautiful bow,sleak. Lets see it cranked back. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 0209

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:41 am »
I'm hoping that today I can get a picture of her "cranked back" for ya Pappy.  We'll see though.
-Unknown

Offline 0209

Re: First in a Year - Hickory backed Ipe- FULLDRAW UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:54 pm »

Sorry for the delay in update.  Couldn't find the camera and when I did no one would take the picture so I ended up doing it myself.  Have a good one and thanks for looking guys and gals.
-Unknown