Author Topic: deoderant for hunting.  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Jesse

deoderant for hunting.
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:07:46 pm »
What do you guys use to block your odor when hunting? I just tried some natural mineral stone called Thai crystal. This stuff is amazing. 100 % mineral  100% natural and totally odorless. I put it on yesterday morning and amazingly after working outside I am still B O free today ;D  My wife brought it home and I didnt think it would work but it actually outperforms anything you buy at a regular store. Gotta go to a natural tree huger store :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: deoderant for hunting.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »
That "natural" crystal is nothing more than the active ingredient in all deodorants.  It's an aluminum salt, the same one many health nuts claim is the cause of early onset Alzheimer's.

On the plus side, you don't walk around smelling of all the other chemical "odorants" they add to make it smell like "Fresh Surf" or whatever.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Brock

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:28:39 pm »
i just get the deodorant from Hunters Specialties that goes with their soaps and scent killers...it is more ANTI PERSPIRANT than deodorant.  Wash really good with scent killing soap....wash clothes good as well in scentfree baking soda...spray down as I go into woods and with the antiperspirant it is not an issue.  Most time if not extremely hot (our season opens 15 August) I try to go without...I dont like clogging my sweat gland pores with that stuff...rather just stay clean and spray liberally. 

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:08 pm »
That "natural" crystal is nothing more than the active ingredient in all deodorants.  It's an aluminum salt, the same one many health nuts claim is the cause of early onset Alzheimer's.

On the plus side, you don't walk around smelling of all the other chemical "odorants" they add to make it smell like "Fresh Surf" or whatever.
Huh ??? it says it contains no aluminum ???. Not like I care. I have been using regular stuff for years. Like you say the best part is it doesnt smell
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:29:16 am »
ok I looked it up out of curiosity. Looks like its made from potassium alum which is not the same as aluminum cloride which blocks the sweat glands . Potasium alum is used in water purification and baking soda as well :).  Probably still bad for ya but what isn't :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:37:21 am by Jesse »
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:55:13 am »
I use baking soda a lot,ha if it helps you eat it can't be all bad. ;) :) I have heard of what you are talking about ,just never seen it anywhere. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 09:06:13 am »
 I quit worrieing about it down here and just hunt with the wind. Hunting season started last Saturday in South Fl and it's in the high 90's and humidty 90+. And scent blocker doesn't block the scent of DEET.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 01:59:09 pm »
Hunt the wind like Eddie  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:13:49 pm »
Hunt the wind like Eddie  ;D
So true. I was talking with a good hunter that told me he gave up on all that scent blocker stuff years ago because no matter what if a deer is down wind its gonna smell you. Still it must be better if you dont smell like perfume though ;) If its real calm odors just linger in all directions ;)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »
Jesse, I've been using the Hunters Specialties antiperspirant for a few years as my reg deodorant. Don't have to worry about buying something special.   I can tell you it doesn't work all that well while I'm doing landscape work in the high 80s and low 90s.  ::) 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »
  Jesse, I had a doe that was down wind from me once, stop,look at me and start walking right to me sniffing the air. I was siting on the ground during Spring Turkey season in full camo. I had been out to dinner with the wife the night before and still had Cologne on when I went bird hunting the next morning. She walked up within 5' of me when I finally chased her off. I guess if they haven't smelled it before they get curious? The wife liked it, too. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:05 pm »
 Jesse, I had a doe that was down wind from me once, stop,look at me and start walking right to me sniffing the air. I was siting on the ground during Spring Turkey season in full camo. I had been out to dinner with the wife the night before and still had Cologne on when I went bird hunting the next morning. She walked up within 5' of me when I finally chased her off. I guess if they haven't smelled it before they get curious? The wife liked it, too. ;D
Funny :D I have had stuff like that as well. Had a buck walk right up to me in the middle of the national forest far away from the possibilities of being tame. It walked right up to me and my friend and wasnt bothered by us talking. I threw it an apple and it just sniffed it and slowly walked off. They are curious. Last year my friend was hunting and using the tree sadle for the first time. He didnt know how to use it right so he was up there wiggling around and swinging in the saddle when some deer came in. They were intrigued by his movements and he was smart enough to realize it and kept doing it until he could get in a good position. One walked right up close then tried to circle and wind him but he shot it before it got down wind.
Ok last story ;D During gun season I was trying to scare some deer towards my friend in a last ditch effort on the last day of the season. I was walking through the woods banging a stick against the trees loudly and two does came right up close and we just stared at eachother for a bit before they bolted. Maybe they thought I was a buck in rut.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:06:25 pm by Jesse »
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline John K

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 01:00:38 pm »
Hope i see a deer like that in September Jesse  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 02:43:52 pm »
I stand corrected on the deodorizing crystal, thanks.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 05:15:46 pm »
Lots of deodorant companies make unscented antiperspirant / deodorant.  One's probably as good as the next, and you don't get nabbed by the premium price of a "hunting" deodorant.  They Crystal is good stuff, too.  The actual Crystal lasts a long time (years), but it doesn't work quite as well for me as regular antiperspirant.