Author Topic: Boo Backed Maple ELB  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Thwackaddict

Boo Backed Maple ELB
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:49:47 am »
Maple backed with bamboo that grows on my papaws farm,65" andshooting for 50-55#@28".1 1/4 at handle 1" midlimb tapering to 1/2"tips.This is my first Elb So if any of you guys see me runnin off track or have any suggestions please chime in.Got it  floor tillerd and got it on long string,hope to get it braced tommorow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:53:22 am by Thwackaddict »
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boo Backed Maple ELB
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:57:35 am »
Are you planning for this bow to bend through the handle?  If so, begin removing a bit of wood from the just outside the handle area. You are getting too much bend at mid limb.  You might want to keep the belly on the flat side and not deeply rounded like a yew or osage long bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:35 am »
Yes i do Pat,i got a slight rounded profile on belly but i'm still far enough out to get it nice and flat.Thanks

Southwest,VA

Offline dusty

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:48:36 am »
I agree with Patb you need to get the handle area working more with the length of bow and draw length you are after i would think about a full compass tiller. For a 28 inch draw I make my ELB 70/72 inch NTN

For a ELB you have a high rounded  belly you may also want to consider heat treating the Maple belly as the boo backing may over power the belly depending on thickness. Depending on what type of glue you have used as heat may cause the glue line to fail

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:17:49 am »
Dusty i used tbIII and the maple is pretty thick,well over the 5/8 rule,i trapped the boo also,Thanks

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »
this one is on hold until i get a string made,got it ready to brace but my tillering string is too elastic.I'm gonna make one out of b-50 and that should solve it.

Southwest,VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:25:32 am »
Dusty, A more flattened belly is also appropriate for ELBs when using less compression strong woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:54 am »
Pat-I'm still not getting much bend in the handle.It is 7/8 thick there.Should i scrape from midlimb to midlimb across handle or go from fade to fade,or where the fades normally are?My tiller string is stretchin a bit so I dont wanna go to far and then get a low stretch string on and see that its all whacked up.Whats your take on it?

Southwest,VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:34 am »
You can also reduce the width to decrease weight. It isn't as effective as from the belly but it is an option if you are getting to thin.
    I would start scraping just outside of the handle(4" handle area) on both the top and bottom limbs and out towards mid limb. Leave the actual handle(4") untouched. If all goes well you will feel the handle area bend right at full draw.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:43 am »
Thanks pat,hopefully will have some full draw pics posted mid week.

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »
okay guys,sorry for the hold up,got me a string made up last night(thanks eddie)and tillering was a breeze,its heavy so if you can point out anywhere needs some scrapin,no prob.Going for 50-55 and i think its near 65 or 70,its all i can do to hold it back and i'm pretty thick up top,seems to stack a bit but its a thumper!pretty accurate considering i've never shot an elb or off  my hand.!1/16 positive on the bottom limb.

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:58 pm »
15Yrd group,Handle pics and full draw,if tiller looks ok to all,gonna get a couple coats of oil on it!

Southwest,VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »
Nice! Sounds and looks like you've got a shooter.  8)
 The middle 1/3(handle area) still looks a bit stiff for a bendy handle bow. The bow is fine as it is if you are satisfied with it. Can you feel any give in the handle as you approach full draw full draw?

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:48:42 am »
when im shooting it no,if i pull it back and let it down i can feel it kinda give a bit.I'd like to get it down a bit tho,scrape it a bit from handle out bout 10"?

Southwest,VA

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 01:21:58 pm »
i agree try to get the handle and middle section bending a little more
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"