Author Topic: this osage?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline andy thomas

this osage?
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:11 am »
hey guys been lurking for a while and learning alot. anyway i think i found some osage but want to be sure. so is this osage.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: this osage?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:50:58 am »
It sure looks like it to me.
Looks like some good stuff. ;D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
Welcome aboard Andy! Yup, think I see some bows in there ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:03:46 pm »
Leaves, thorns, and bark all point to osage to me... take down that stove-pipe straight piece and if yellow sawdust comes out when you cut it then you hit the trifecta.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:18:09 pm »
thanks guys hunted the property  next to these railroad tracks when i was a kid and remember seeing the weird balls on the tracks this is the only place around here that i have ever seen it so after sitting here reading all this i went for a walk and found it, i also found a tree in town here will have to get you a picture of that it is huge. anyways thanks guys will have a ton of questions about splitting and such about this after i talk to the land owner and get permission for some

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »
You got 'Sage, no doubt about it. Not to mention, it looks like healthy and strong Osage. Not weak and half-dead. Believe it or not there is such a thing as "bad" Osage. But this is definately NOT that. Get permission and fire up the chainsaw brother!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:44:27 pm by Cacatch »

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:13:54 pm »
Cacatch is right, that is some primo looking hedge right there. You'll get some nice staves and billets out of that.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:19:46 pm »
That looks like it might be some second growth osage.  It sure looks good.  Make sure you seal the ends with glue or something if you cut it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left