Author Topic: tree diameter  (Read 3692 times)

Offline andy thomas

tree diameter
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:43:08 am »
around what diameter tree are you guys looking for when you are cutting for a couple of staves

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: tree diameter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:05:23 am »
Hi,  I like looking for trees that are 5-8 inches at the lower end of the stave.  That pretty reliably gives me at least one usable stave and often two (depending on knots etc.)  That also is a handy size for one person to fell, split and carry.  Note that I collect junipers and white wood trees.  If you're collecting osage or other trees that have the sapwood removed the answer may be different.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:19:49 am »
If you want to split for two staves I go for 4-5" , can go as low as 3", as that will give you about 3.5 mid stave which still gives a fairly wide bow if it's a 'white wood'.
You can even go as low as 2" min at the small end and make a single simple bow.
Depends a bit on the wood too, if you have to remove any sapwood then you need bigger.
It's always a trade off too small you don't have enough wood, too big, it weighs a ton and you are chopping/sawing away endless waste.
If you want to split/saw into quarters then you want 5"plus.
BTW, is it just me or do you find that when you go back for that 'great piece of timber' :) it's never quite so good second time of looking >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:11:52 am »
A lot will depend on the type of wood you are cutting like these other guys have said. I have built good shooting bows from 1" saplings of hickory or other whitewoods and osage and mulberry of about 2" in diameter. These bows had the sapwood left on them but still made good bows.
  What woods do you have available to you?   Ideally you want trees big enough so the back or your bow will be as flat as possible. For woods like osage or mulberry an 8" to 15" diameter tree will give you quite a few staves and they will have relatively flat backs. Whitewoods should be that big or possibly bigger but that is not necessary for shootable bow.
  Give us a little more information about what you have available and we can be more specific.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »
thanks guys i have some ash and some osage that i am looking at so i figured i would ask

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »
Sapling bows can be built from both of those woods and you should be able to get 4 nice staves from an 8" to 10" diameter clear log of either
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC