Author Topic: Mushroom Collecting 2010  (Read 13312 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Mushroom Collecting 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 01:28:14 am »
Pity you don't live closer to the Black Hills, because I would let you use my American Harvest dehydrator and all 11 racks in exchange for a few tastey morsels..or morels..or chanterelles...*sigh*
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 01:12:12 am »
Chanterelles allegedly grow here, but I've never seen them. I think people are seeing Lactarius and think they're "chanterelles". Never have seen a morel here. But Boletes, boy, they sure grow when conditions are right. We got the last of the season's Boletes today. We found a family out picking. First people we've ever seen picking mushrooms. Of course, they turned out to be Eastern Europeans---Bosnians actually---so they loved mushrooms. They got a pretty respectable haul, which is good.

We found the season's first Lobster mushrooms today. We might get a good harvest of those. Those are choice mushrooms and they don't grow everywhere.

JW, you guys should have Western Giant Puffballs growing where you are.
Living a dream...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »
I've found some of those once, but generally I miss them when they are pickable.  Awesome 'shroom....wonderful sliced about 3/4 inch thick and fried in butter.  They are so good that the steak is the side dish to the 'shroom!

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 02:23:37 am »
They are awesome. We found one once. Reminded me of a big, white watermelon. We did fry up some puffball "steaks" and they were delicious. Where they grow here is quite a hike up into the San Francisco Peaks.
Living a dream...

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 02:00:46 am »
Dang man,I usually get a good haul of morels (5-25lbs)and chicken of the woods when i can find em but sounds to me like you in shroom heaven!MMMMmmmmm gotta love some fungus!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »
Morels are nothing to sneeze at. They command some pretty high prices.
Living a dream...

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:41 am »
Morels are nothing to sneeze at. They command some pretty high prices.
I usually cook some up fresh and dry the rest.I got this awesome morel cream sauce recipe that compliments fish like you would not believe!!Out of this world!

Southwest,VA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 01:29:17 am »
We were running three Nesco dehydrators this year; one with four extra racks.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 10:42:00 am »
you need to get you one like I did for my Jerky...will do up to 30 pounds of Meat at once...

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »
Damn Mike,
Now thats a nice one!I bet it works like a charm!Haha if had one of those nuthin would be safe!! >:D

Southwest,VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 05:05:06 pm »
I'll tell you what...you load this up with Venison Jerky....and you better have the Garage Door Open...because the Aroma is so strong it will burn Your eyes out...I dried the first batch with the Garage Door shut...took three days to get the smell of Jerky out of the House!! You can slice and dehydrate  almost a Bushell of Apple at one time in it...I have made quite a bit of dried fruits...but mostly Jerky
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 06:36:15 pm »

[/quote]I usually cook some up fresh and dry the rest.I got this awesome morel cream sauce recipe that compliments fish like you would not believe!!Out of this world!
[/quote]

Morel cream sauce....like it needs fish or anything else with it!!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 11:15:57 pm »
It's been skimpy on the shrooms here this year-too dry. Been getting a few, but not nearly as many as usual. The main ones I pick here are morels, chanterelles, smooth chanterelles, black trumpets, meadow agarics, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, cauliflower mushrooms, purple-spored and gemmed puffballs, beefsteaks, hedghog Hydnums, Russula virescens, a couple different boletes and Suillus, and indigo and apricot Lactarius. I've never found the Boletus edulis here, but there are a couple pretty similar to it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
That's a nice dehydrator, El D! We've been thinking about a bigger dehydrator, but now have 3 Nescos, so we're pretty set. We can shuffle them around for space but weren't sure we have room for one of the bigger dehydrators.

Hillbilly, we could have had several boxes of Slippery Jacks here, but were concentrating on the Boletes, Princes, and Shaggy Parasols. But it sounds like you have more variety there than we do. We don't really have that kind of variety here. We wish we could find Black Trumpets!!!!!
Living a dream...

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »
Mike -aint nuthin wrong with jerky flavored air freshener,mmmmm make me wanna eat the house!!;D
JW- I will post my cream sauce recipe tonight,watch out though it will have you doin B&E's for morels >:Dits worse than smack!!
steve-I got 2lbs of morels this spring and only by chance.our summer has been so dry that i havent even been ou tlooking.I'm doin rain dances every day next spring :D

Southwest,VA