Author Topic: Mushroom Collecting 2010  (Read 13314 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Mushroom Collecting 2010
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:46:11 pm »
Well, we found the first King Bolete of the season! This whale has a cap that's the size of a dinner plate! Thing is huge! My wife discovered a trove of Prince mushrooms growing near our house. Our neighbors mulched their yard (our yards are unfenced and border national forest) with wood chips and Prince mushrooms probably "hitched a ride" here on them. She picked a sackfull of them today and got a sackfull earlier in the week. This same area, we got Shaggy Parasols a couple years ago that hitched a ride in on a neighbors decorative lumber and established themselves.

Our dehydrator is going tp pay for itself all over again for the 1000th time.  ;D
Living a dream...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Mushroom Collecting 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:52:30 pm »
 That is cool. I'm going to miss my lease this year, that is the first place I've ever found edible mushrooms in Florida that you didn't have to take Vacation time to eat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:23:54 pm »
Let's see some pictures...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »
"...edible mushrooms in Florida that you didn't have to take Vacation time to eat."  >:D Those grow here, too...I hear.  >:D

We measured the King Bolete. The cap was 8 and 1/2 inches in diameter and the mushroom stands 8 inches high. That's a lot of mushroom! It filled all the racks of our Nesco American Harvest dehydrator---after we cut some fresh slices for stroganoff for dinner.

We have pics, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get them from the camera on to the computer.  ???
Living a dream...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:00:36 pm »
Aw man, shroooooms, maaaan!  Can't wait to see the pics since you didn't invite me over to share in your bounty. 

Some years back while turkey hunting we stumbled onto a patch of morels.  Found one morel that was 8" high, and was almost 4" actoss the base.  They were good fresh, but the flavor was extraordinary when the dried ones were reconstituted in soups and stews.  I still hunt the heck outa that turkey ridge (it's the one called Lung Sucker), but have never found a single morel since.  You might say I am immorel.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
HONGOS A GO-GO!!!

Today's haul was nearly TEN POUNDS of Porcinis. These are the classic Porcinis that command premium prices in Italy. If you looked in an Italian cookbook that talks about Porcinis, the pictures you'd see would be these mushrooms. I mean, these are absolutely top-notch specimens. Textbook classics.

We found a few pounds of Shaggy Manes and collected those also. Those need to be run through the dehydrator ASAP as they turn to ink within a few hours of collecting. We haven't found those in a while.

We found a wonderful specimen of Mukhomor (Amanita Muscaria). Took that one home to dry and put on display, along with a few others were collected a couple years ago. This one was a textbook photo type one. They don't get any better than that. They look awesome dried and in a shadowbox.

We found a source of Ink Caps that we may return to collect.

We have pics of all of these and once I figure out how to load them, I'll post them here.

JW, Morels are a primo mushroom people here are always looking for. Folks here won't even give you a 100 mile radius idea of where to look for them if they found some. That one you found is the dream morel of mushroom collectors.
Living a dream...

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:56:59 am »
We got nearly 20 pounds of them today! Everything from the classic Porcinis to gigantic King Boletes. We couldn't believe it! The Porcinis were growing in clusters, like bunching onions! Never saw that before. The big Kings were standing tall and looking good in a patch of them where we lifted 10 pounds of them right there.

They won't be 20 pounds once dried, as they shrink up, but with these, a little goes a long way. I figure it's going to take a couple days to get these through the dehydrator.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:47:35 am »
                                                                                                  PICTURES

;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:11 am »
I have the pics, it's loading them that I'm having to work on right now. I think I need a memory card reader. Meant to get one this weekend, but was too busy collecting mushrooms. Got more today, right in our "backyard". Some more of The Prince and some Shaggy Parasols.
Living a dream...

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:32 pm »
THIS IS INSANE!!!!  ;D LOL!! We can't keep up with it! We filled the entire back seat of my Jeep Cherokee with sacks of King Boletes and smaller Porcinis! If I had to guess, I'd say we picked well over 100 pounds of them, maybe 150 pounds. Both our dehydrators are filled (and one has double racks) and our fridge is full of ones awaiting slicing and drying. This after we gave a sackfull to a friend and a half-sack to neighbors.
Living a dream...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »
The one time I got more shrooms than I could eat in a sitting I dried them down.  It seemed to me that when I used them in cooking later they were even more strongly flavored than when they were fresh.  One single dried morel made en entire pot of venison stew taste delish!  Has anyone else had the same results?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:03:42 pm »
congrats on the haul! I've been seeing some bay and bicolor boletes,  but the'yre all eaten up. Got some Oysters and a few sulfur shelfs in this crazy dry summer.

3 days of rain forcast, though... ;)

By the way, , IFC channel is running a cool movie called "Know your mushrooms" about edibles and medicinals like ling chi.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:16 am »
JW, yes, drying mushrooms intensifies their flavor. Put them in a sealed mason jar to store them. They get richer with age. They'll last almost forever. I have heard some Russians smoke mushrooms to dry them and this creates a totally different flavor. But sealing dried mushrooms in a mson jar not only preserves your harvest, but they're going to get richer and stronger in flavor.

We went out this evening to gather some before dark after work. Got another four bags! One gargantua took up almost half a large paper grocery bag by itself! Being that we were going to be out there close to dusk, and I've seen bear sign out there, I toted my trusty Mosin Nagant 91-30. It's unsporterized, of course, meaning it's as heavy as the day it was issued, LOL! I had the routine down good: See Bolete, unsling and ground rifle, pick Bolete, put in bag, pick up and resling rifle. I noticed the Lactarius and Russulas are coming up and hopefully they'll turn into Lobster mushrooms.
Living a dream...

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:57 am »
Postman, do you know if that movie "Know Your Mushrooms" is on DVD?
Living a dream...

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »
yeah, I googled it and found it. I'll send ya the link
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA