Author Topic: uniformly sharpening trade points  (Read 4061 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: uniformly sharpening trade points
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 12:02:50 am »
I live in North Wilkesboro. It is about an hour from Cleveland. Come on up, I am off school till the 17th. I think this is some old leaf spring steel or from an old machete. I may have some more if your covert op dont work. >:D
Give me a call 336-928-0657
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:25:44 am »
I haven't had a chance to cut one out of that chuck of steel, yet.  I'm hoping to give it a shot in the next couple of days, but we'll see how that goes.  Gotta get something done soon, and get them tuned up.  It's going to be nannie shooting season before you know it.

There's enough steel there for several points, if you want to try some, Justin. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 09:55:21 am »
Nah that's alright. Between the banding steel and circular saw blades, I have more than enough material than I have cut off wheels. Although I think the banding steel could be done with a good pair of shears or chisel, it might humble me though. I'm always on the lookout for something for points now. Heck I aint even got any arras cut or made to shoot the ones I got. Figger I'll work on that this fall. I suppose I have a bow, could shoot the recurve, but going to try like the devil to have a locust or hickory selfbow by spring/summer.

Nugget, I went to college with a fella from North Wilksboro, Mullberry actually, up off Yellow Banks road in the sharp S curve.

Offline nugget

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 10:31:38 am »
Yep know where you are talking about. I am about 5 minutes or so from there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 11:10:40 pm »
Cut one out this afternoon.  Nothing special, just a 2:1 triangle, with a rough bevel.  This arrangement tipped the scales at 266 gns.  That oughta pack a wallop!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nugget

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:01 am »
Wow That sucker will definitely leave a mark. You can always drill some holes to shed weight.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 12:14:59 am »
That's what I was thinking, a few holes to shed weight, and to use for hafting.  I'll have to clamp it down and try that tomorrow.
Cleveland, NC