Author Topic: uniformly sharpening trade points  (Read 4062 times)

JustinNC

uniformly sharpening trade points
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »
How do you guys do it? I mean I can get the belt sander out or grinding wheel, but nothing guaranteeing me a uniform angle on both sides. I put one in the Lansky and with the extra coarse stone and about 500 strokes later, I have a perdy angle STARTED but not and EDGE.

Maybe I am being too particular and should just rough it out with the angle grinder and then finish with the Lansky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: uniformly sharpening trade points
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:16:17 pm »
I'd say get your basic angle with the grinder and then let the Lansky dress it up for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:21:09 pm »
Thanks Pat. Guess I over thought it and trying to be a perfectionist. It's only a point. I aint tryin to split a gnats hair at 70yds. Must be a little wheelie bowman left in me looking for perfection. I'll shake that, don't worry ;D

half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:38:40 pm »
JustinNC,
       I'm not only old but kinda old-fashioned to boot. I was taught to sharpen my broadheads with a 10" mill-bastard file, stroking into the edge and from rear to point. From there ya can stone or hone if you want to but with a little partice them file sharp heads will really suprise ya.
       Matter of fact "true-angle" (guys that make hones) make a set of mill files attached in a wood block.....just push the 2 blade threw a couple times (both sides) and yer angles are set.....and they be mighty sharp too.
Rich

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:26:42 am »
Half eye...there is a reason things were done the way they were done, even if it is old fashioned, and 99% of those reasons were because it WORKED. I finished roughing it one out lastnight and put a 25* edge on it....guess that's a 50* cutting angle.  I think since this is just a test, I'm going to shoot it like that, see how well it penetrates, then take it down to 20/40 and see how well it does, then on down to 17/34 and see how well it does. I really want to go down to the 17/34 because you can flat out put an edge on something with a low angle like that, but just worry about chipping and bending. Will be fun to see what works best.

Here it is so far. We can't use barbed in NC, and they have to be atleast 7/8" This one is 1.5" long from tip to widest point of the head, then 1" across at the widest point. Total length is 2 2/5". Haven't gotten a weight yet.

Will also be huntin in SC as well....no restrictions on heads down there. So may do some longer more 3:1ish heads as well and make them barbed to cut out some of the weight that goes along with the thick circular saw blades.

Here's a cell phone photo...sorry for it being fuzzy

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:28:20 am »
Will also put a couple slits along the tang to help with hafting.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:07:44 am »
 I put all my points on my slow turning belt sander. It is slow so the blade doesn't get hot. I have a jig made using a Lansky clamp and shower curtain hook. I start out with a course belt then follow up with finer belts. then it goes to a paper wheel with Jewelers rouge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:37:35 am »
when I make trade points, I rough the edge out on the belt sander or grinder, then sharpen with a file. I don't get down and measure the exact angles, I just want it to get sharp. I like that nasty file edge for a hunting point. It'll sure draw blood from me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »
I reckon them rocks ya'll sling aint perfectly straight razor edge sharp either, so why should these be.

Figgers, I was over thinking it. Got a hold of some of that banding steel that Jonathan C was talking about in another recent thread. A design like/close to the one he used and some wire wrapped around the tang on the shaft orta do the job! Should be a whole lot easier to work with than those circular saw blades.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »
Justin have you tryed the metal that I brought you? I made a cuople out of some of it and they weighed around 150 grns.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »
 Actually the rock is sharper. Obsidian is sharper than steel.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »
Nugget that was jonathan that you brought the steel to. I didn't get to go to that event this weekend. Had prior plans here in mooresville. He didn't say one way or the other if he'd worked it. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 08:17:37 pm »
I figured he would share some of it with you. ( Sad attempt to cover my memory)  ::)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 11:10:47 pm »
Grinder, file, and belt sander in that order followed by a medium stone. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

JustinNC

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 11:49:50 pm »
The wife was at his house tonight nugget...shoulda just had her steal me some ha. That's ok. What is it? Might have to plan a black ops covert mission one night and grab it if it's all that and a bag of chips. Nugget where bouts you live around here? Jonathan told me but I can't remember.