Author Topic: Need ur Opinion?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Need ur Opinion?
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »
Hello all!  Im glad to get on over to the bow side every now and again!  I actually started here...alrighty then I had an idea and maybe its time to ask some of u guys...I am thinking ahaead and with Fall turkey time coming up I might want a new bow.  Im limited to Northern species  like hickory, ash, maple, oak, unless someones willing to part with some osage etc... Im clean out of ideas Ive made many styles and types and dont mind repeating a few but would like a little help from my friends and give me some ideas on a good turkey bow..we will get the new deer killer later... Hey guys thanks and just maybe after turkey time I will pick someone and donate the Bow to...sounds like a plan!  Have a great day!

AncientArcher
Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Need ur Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:02:31 am »
For hunting turkeys I would be sitting, kneeling, or in a blind.  Makes me think of something short, sweet, bend-thru-the-handle, and hickory flavored.  Easier to work with then a 72" ELB.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:19:43 am »
i gotta agree a band through handle would fit the bill nicely. i have a red oak that i built awhile back, bend through handle 60"OAL burlap backed, hemp wrapped handle that would most definitly be my"go to bow" for most hunting excursions. a pyramid design could be used too though, and made at a good enough length to handle in a blind.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:32:46 am »
How about an Eastern Woodland Style for an Ancient Archer to use for turkeys. 8)   Short, bend through the handle and traditional in oak, hickory, maple, locust and other eastern woodland varieties of wood. As simple of a design as it is, this can be a very effective hunting bow. You may not have to build a deer bow after building this style for turkeys!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

half eye

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:42:28 am »
Russ,
     any of the NA "D" bows would be great cause ya can make them short and compact, and about as strong as ya can stand to pull. Another thing is you can make the bow a little longer maybe 60-65 inch and bend in some working recurves.....and the bow will shoot "shorter" than it actually is (for blinds etc.) and also help with stacking issues if ya find that a problem.
    got to side with Pat on the "deer" bow thing also....I got a couple of the "D" scalloped NA's that I'm shootin at everything this year. They got a lot more performance than they get credit for.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:59:54 am »
Those shorty NA's can be addictive.  Just finished tillering a sinew backed hickory with flipped tips, total length was 42", pulling about 55# at 20".  Gotta get 'er on the scale to know for sure.  Will also let it rest another two months and check tiller...sneaky buggers can change tiller on ya as they cure further!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:19:56 am »
JW, if your tiller is good you should be able to get a little more draw length out of that bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:39:21 am »
Thanx guys for the help and ideas!  I will let you all know when and which wood and which type I will do.  It sounds as maybe I'll make like PatB... north eastern woodland possibly a recurve!  I also may and make something short and bendie in the handle!  Rich them bows are awesome and shoot just as well!!!  Thanx Jw and walkabout and Rich and Pat...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Diligence

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:18:39 pm »
I had to laugh at your description of northern woods (hickory, ash, maple, oak).....only "northern" woods I had back home were black spruce, the odd tamarack, some birch, and willows...lol.  ;D

D

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:11 am »
Russ, the Kayuga style is a cool bow. More od a deflex/reflex bow than a recurve. We made one for a Community Bow project a few years ago and it turned out nice and shot well. Do a search here for the thread. I have pics if I can round them up.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:53 am »
Hickory, maple and oak are very good bow woods. Killed my first deer with a hickory selfie. It was one of the favorites of the local tribes here in MA and NH. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!