Author Topic: Pine Pitch Doo Doo Sticks  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Pine Pitch Doo Doo Sticks
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:59 am »
Me and my buddy Snakeman made a new batch of pine pitch tonight.  Pine Resin, Charcoal, and Bee's Wax mixture. We found a new place to gather pine resin today.  There's a place out in the woods near here where people go to shoot their guns and they set up targets facing a bunch of pine trees.  If you go out behind the targets, everywhere a bullet hit the tree is a glob of pine resin.  It's pretty cool.  We used his coleman propane stove to melt and mix all the ingredients together.  He ended up with more sticks than I did but he goes through more of this stuff than I do.  I just need enough to haft a knife and a few stone points.  This little bit should last me awhile.  Thanks for looking!   :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pine Pitch Doo Doo Sticks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:25:19 am »
Amazing stuff ain't it Josh. I love pitch glue. Nothing now days will match what pitch glue can do...and except for a little time, it is free!  ;D 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:10 am »
Yeah this stuff is great!  ...If I wanted to add some more beeswax to this mixture to make it less brittle, could I re-melt it into the same pot off the sticks and add the beeswax, stir it good then put it back on the sticks?  How many times can you re melt it without losing its effectiveness? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:44:15 am »
The Key to remelting it...is to get it just hot enough to liquefy...if you heat it too much it will get brittle on you...so go slow and you should have no problem getting it mixed with the Beeswax at all...I would not liquefy the whole batch more than this one more time...because every time you do...you are losing precious properties to the atmosphere from boiling them off...once you get it back on the Sticks...just heat enough of the Glob to do what you have planned...by the way ...they look great!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:45:30 pm »
thanks for the info and compliment Mike!  :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
                           The Mexicans here make a Sweet Candy...smothered in Red Pepper...that looks Identical to these...but I bet the Pine Pitch tastes better......... >:D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:01:42 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »
                           The Mexicans here make a Sweet Candy...smothered in Red Pepper...that looks Identical to these...but I bet the Pine Pitch tatses better......... >:D

;D ;D LOL

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »
The pitch glue sticks are very convenient. I carry one in my possibles bag and a few in my arrow and archery tool boxes. A bic lighter is also handy to have on hand but not necessary.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC