Author Topic: HUMIDITY!  (Read 5809 times)

PeteDavis

HUMIDITY!
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:18:46 pm »

My new elm/hick has lost it's zing.

How do you guys get around damp weather?

I really want to hunt with this stuff.

PD

Offline sailordad

Re: HUMIDITY!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:24:13 pm »
first off the wood must be dried well before its a bow
then it must be sealed well after tillering
during tillering keep it dry too
then once its finished keep it in a dry area
after hunting in damp or humid weather a hot box is always a nice place to put them for  day or so
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:26:51 pm »
I keep my bows in the utility room(we don't have A/C), the driest room in the house. If you have A/C that helps or store them in a hot box while not in use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:59 pm »
I keep my bows in the house (AC). Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »
Hey Pete,
      Dont know exactly where ya live but here in Northern Michigan.....it's wet, a good day here is 80% and sometimes above 95% so I took to usuing a finish that's made of spruce pitch and grease. Sent some bows to a couple of people that live where it's real dry and that didn't work out very well at all (when I was using the usual oil, varnish, poly deals.) Haven't had a lick of trouble with humidity since I went to the grease. Great Lakes Natives (a lot of others as well) used the grease method for ever; they say ...."it keeps the wood elastic". From the time they are floor tillered till their done it's grease, grease, and more grease. Butif ya want the modern finishes do like the other fellas said.....make sure it's dry and stabilized, then seal the "you know what" out of it.
      Just another point of view, so take it for what it's worth, eh? One other advantage of gettin greasy is I dont have any trouble huntin when it's near zero degrees and snowin like hell, even freezing rain dont bother it. Leavin 'em strung all day dont seem to bother 'em much either.
rich

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:07:11 pm »
Pete,with me that's easy.When it's wet or very humid,I stick with osage.I use my whitewoods when rain is'nt in the forecast,and, it is'nt going to be super humid.JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »
There are no finishes that will keep moisture 100% out.   So your best bet is when not shooting them keep them in a hot box at a low temp and fairly low humidiity.  The wood takes a while to pick up moisture so while out hunting you should be fine and then return them after hunting.  Usually in the fall and winter, the humidity isn't as big of a factor as in the summer.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 05:02:28 am »
Bees wax is another good water repellent, better than the poliyies. I think grease is good because I believe it soaks into the wood a bit. Steve

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:35 am »
Has anyone ever tried Sno Seal for a finish? I use it on my boots by heating several applications with a heat gun.

http://www.campmor.com/sno-seal-original-beeswax-waterproofing-jar.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10603WC
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

wood

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »
I'm discusted! The hickory bow that I was just about ready to start tillering has gone all wet noodle on me. Already had it floor tillered. How do you guys do it? The stupid thing now has a bend like string follow. I have it clamped to a 2x4 with a back curve cut into it. What do I do with the thing now? I'm ready to go back to buying my bows and just making arrows and the stick bows for the kids. Is there any hope for it or is it firewood? :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 07:00:18 pm »
Hickory is very hydroscopic. Put it in a dry environment (utility room maybe) and it should dry out fine.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:05:39 pm »
i would leave it clamped down
and like Jeff said,stick it some place
some place dry that is,utility room,near an ac vent,hot box
i would leave it for a month(actually i would leave it for a year,but i am anal about such things)
i was given a sweet piece of osage last february by Sawfiler when i was in ATennesse.i scraped it to one ring and its been in that room ever since.
it will be ther for few more months,then i will start on it

i use a spare room in my basement for my bow wood,and other items i want dried well
its a smaller room,maybe12x12.i keep a dehumidifier going in that room almost 24/7
the humidity level is low in that room,near desert like humidity.
never had a problem with my hickory,hhb,osage etc etc
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

wood

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:03:07 pm »
Thanks guys. It's in the house now glaring at me. Is heat better than cool? I've been reading here and a new post. My garage is hot enough to boil eggs (seems like it anyhow) or in the lower humidity but way cooler house. Don't have a way to do hot and dry.

Sailordad, I don't think I could wait that long ;D I might be able to make a month but with it staring up at me???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:10 pm »
I don't advise clamping an already done bow. Bending it backwards can be tough on it. Just give it some time in AC or in a warm place. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

wood

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 08:13:20 pm »
It's only been floor tillered. That's what bent it. It's still green wood. I could get out the paint stripping gun but I'd have to do that outside.