Author Topic: thumb ring  (Read 2663 times)

Offline aero86

thumb ring
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:57 am »
so, ive been wanting a "asian" style bow, korean, mongol, etc..  and they used thumb rings to shoot them in the past, so i decided i should probably figure out how to make one.  anyways, i decided to start with something that was already round and had a hole in it.  so first i grabbed 1/2 coupler.  i made one that actually worked well.  not bad for a .25 dollar investment.  but i wanted to do better.  so i went to home depot and found a 45 degree bend 1/2 coupler.  i was gonna utilize the little notch that the angle created on the inside.  works a bit better, though i should have bought a few more, this one is cut kinda high, but im getting there.  this one works pretty good, though my thumb is much more skinny than the joint, so it still wants to spin a bit even though ive made it oval.  tomorrow, i might go back for more and try again.  i was using my bows bow since it has a light draw weight to practice on.. i like it so far.  anyways, on with the pics of the cheap thumb ring

in this picture, i feel that on the right, i would consider the top part, i should have cut it lower, kinda hard to explain

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Jesse

Re: thumb ring
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »
not a bad idea at all :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline aero86

Re: thumb ring
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:27 am »
i like it so far.  gotta get the hang of it.  the opening is sorta oval like it should be, but between the joints on my thumb is much thinner so the ring is still kinda loose.  ive heard it suppoosedly "thickens up", but it works well.  i bought another to cut it differently.  i use a dremel mostly to shape it
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.