Author Topic: New Sycamore selfbow...almost finished up  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Stingray45

New Sycamore selfbow...almost finished up
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:37 am »
Hey guys here is the bow I have been working on. Was 45#@28" before final sanding. I sanded her down and toasted the belly, hopefully that helped add some weight. I'm gonna finish up shaping the tips tonight after work and then put some stain and add a handle wrap. The bow is 64" ntn, 45#@28" sycamore bow with an osage arrow shelf and tip overlays.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Stingray45

Re: New Sycamore selfbow...almost finished up
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:06:20 am »
Here are a few more pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:14:28 am »
Very nice work. You did well. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:52 am »
                                               That is one killer looking bow,nice tiller.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:57:16 am »
Thanks Jawge & Yeti. I really liked working with the Sycamore. I really liked the grain on this board at the lumber yard which is why I picked it up. It's 1/4-sawn and has a cool pattern, should look really nice when I stain it up.  I got another piece that wants to be a bow as well. I got another bow in the works though already, was working on it this morning while I was waiting for these tip overlays to fully dry before I start shaping them. I glued up a red oak backed hackberry stave a couple of weeks ago and floor tillered it so I was doing some long string tillering and got it braced at 5". There were some small gaps I could see with the backing and the hackberry so I went in and squirted some superglue in there to let it fill in the gaps, dry and harden today then I'm gonna sand it all down tonight and start working it sometime this week.

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:08:49 pm »
Great looking bow -  Nice tiller, like the osage shelf. Noticed the shirt - are you from Greensburg? I grew up in McKeesport
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:06 pm »
Thanks Postman. I put Osage tip overlays on since this picture as well, gotta shape them up tonight.

Yup I'm originally from Greensburg, moved down to Northern VA with my wife a little over 2-1/2 years ago. Family still lives back there. Not too far from McKeesport.

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:55 pm »
I'm down in the Shenandoah valley. Plenty of Osage down here for steeler fans ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:03:07 pm »
Tiller looks great, you did a fine job on that one. Nice a bow I've seen on here.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »
Well done. Sycamore is not a common bow wood. Good to see some variations now and again.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »
Looks like it has rays like red oak...just a lot more...beautiful wood.  Looks like that grain is really gonna look nice stained to bring it out.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:50:45 pm »
Haha I'll have to pick some up b4 the Stillers play. I was actually thinking the other day of making a black & gold bow. I got a piece of Osage Im working on now would look good with a black leather grip and black walnut tip overlays haha. Maybe I'll get it finished up in time to kick of the season.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 03:22:02 pm »
Nice looking bow,good tiller, well done? how does it shoot?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 07:18:13 pm »
Thanks Scott and Dragon.

Dragon it actually shoots suprisingly fast for the draw weight. I should hopefully be finishing up tonight and getting the final pictures on here. Ill have the final stats as well.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 09:59:58 pm »
Nice job Stingray.You did good. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas