Author Topic: Looks like I'll be hunting with a glass bow this year  (Read 3141 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Looks like I'll be hunting with a glass bow this year
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:41 pm »
Well, my new BBI went kablooey yesterday because I had a bad case of the DA.  So today I break out my first BBO to try my new arrows on since our season opens on 9/11.  After about 12 shots the handle popped off it.  From there I had to go to my glass R/D longbow.  Thankfully my arrows flew like darts out of it and hit right were I was looking.  Guess I'll have to wait 'till next year to go full on neanderthal.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Jesse

Re: Looks like I'll be hunting with a glass bow this year
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:17:53 pm »
Put a couple longer thin wood lams under that handle with some good epoxy and glue it back together :) or make a built up leather handle. Its not to late ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »
Jonathan, I know what you mean. Although I have about 10 bows at the house I've made over the last year, I'm not satisfied with any of them for hunting this season. The 50#'s are 'clunky' shooters, others are only 35#'s and only good for target practice or maybe annoying squirrels. I'm coming in early from work as often as possible these days to squeeze in a few minutes here and there to work on a bow or two that might make a good hunter before Oct hits.

Keep working on them and maybe you'll still be ready for bow season. Get off the boards and get to building!  ;D
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:46:20 am »
Do what Jesse said. Definitely not too late.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

half eye

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:29:39 am »
I'm with Pat and jesse....look at that stick and "make it personal".....if ya like the way it shoots for you, fixin that grip is a pretty easy fix, and lots of fellas willin to help ya out on how to do it.
rich

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:41:02 am »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I'm certain the handle in salvageable, just going to have to pry this old one off and clean it up.  All I've got around the house right now is TBIII, so I may need to get myself some epoxy. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:48:29 am »
dang when did this happen?.....i need to stop texting you bout bow stuff before bedtime...dreamed about quartzite all night and feel like crap this morning. which arras are you shooting?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:27:05 am »
Popped off yestderday evening.  I was shooting a little while I grilled some chicken.  At least the chicken was good.

I'm shooting some tonkin shafts I traded for on here.  They were spined and straightened by aero86.  I think they're 70 lb. shafts, which is probably why they shot better out of my glass bow since it's center cut.
Cleveland, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
I see. I tried those carbons out of the Grizzly and theyre wayyyy to stiff. Just trying to make do for right now. They shoot fast and hard though.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »
Ok, no need to worry. Find either a small stave or a 1x2 of local hardwood lumber. Turn it into a nice D bow. Now here's the important part: make it pretty! That way you'll want to shoot it more. Problem solved ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:14:22 pm »
Epoxy is no good for handles, use your TB111. Back in my early bow days I glued a bunch of handles on with epoxy, all popped loose over time. Now, if you can get your hands on some Urac 185, it is bomb proof for handles.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:36:05 pm »
I'm hoping to do just that, Kegan.  Just have to find time to get in the woods and find a small hickory.  With goose season coming in, and plenty of other irons in the fire I'm not 100% certain I'll get that done, though.  I guess I could go with red oak if push comes to shove.  I'm trying to find a hardwood dealer around here that'll sell retail, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Thanks for the tip, Eric.  I need to get some Urac anyway, so maybe I'll go ahead and bite the bullet.
Cleveland, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »
I love Urac... So far no failures with it, had failures with all the others though... Probably my fault with a few but I always know I can depend on Urac. I even like the way it smells, LOL.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »
Also can try rawhide it works for me! post a pic so we can see it!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:48 pm »
bring it over to the house and will fix it.
bryan irwin