Author Topic: Arkansas Cane for backing  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Ronbow

Arkansas Cane for backing
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:03:39 pm »
In Arkansas, we have stands of small diameter cane. This is probably a newbie question, but is it possible to split this cane into small strips, and glue the strips on for backing? Has anyone done this? I am not sure about the look but I would think long strips would work as sell as a single piece, as long as they are glued tightly together.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Arkansas Cane for backing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:25 pm »
That'll work- they talk about it in the TBB (can't remember which one).
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Ronbow

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »
Thanks jeffutley57 ,  just had to ask. I hope some other folks can give some more info and or advice. I know I am going to have to do this. I just have to try what is at hand, you know? and it being all natuaral and local, well can't pass that up.

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:31:43 pm »
there was a post about this maybe a month ago?  guy posted a bow that was backed with cane strips, or maybe bamboo.  there were pics showing how they got the  strips.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Ronbow

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:28 pm »
Hey thanks guys, for the replie. Any idea on how to find that post? I am unable to come up with it.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:31 am »
Here ya go ron,this should get ya started in the right direction.In the post is a link to his pic album.He used boo,but no reason cane shouldnt work.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,20540.0.html
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:35:13 am »
I missed the post of the laminated cane strips, also.  Pondering out loud--why couldn't you use a 3/4" inch strip of cane or bamboo down the center of an 1 1/2 limb tapering in with the taper of the limb?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:00:18 am »
Hi Folks,   Years ago I made an ash pyramid style bow that was backed with multiple thin, narrow bamboo strips.  I still have it hanging on the rack.  It looks distinctive and always gets comments when I take it out.  I did it when I was just starting bow making and could only find narrow bamboo poles.  I think your cane should work well.  The only problem would be getting the strips straight edged and of even thickness.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:21:22 am »
Yep, the bow Thwackaddict linked to was one of mine. If you scroll down, I also showed a couple of pictures detailing how I got the strips off the poles.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them or PM me, I'm around on and off. I think with a bit of optimization the technique could become a legitimate contender to the traditional backing. Just remember to have your cane good and dry before starting, I recall reading (maybe TBB) that wet bamboo and the like will take set in tension, robing performance.

Good luck, and keep us posted either way.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein