Author Topic: Has anyone tried to make a bow from a mimosa tree?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

Has anyone tried to make a bow from a mimosa tree?
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:20:30 am »
Just wondering. These trees grow like weeds around here and seem to have lots of perfect bow stave size branches.

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Has anyone tried to make a bow from a mimosa tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:17:54 am »
I've always thought about it...It grows wild around here too...perfect straight branchless 8-10 foot sections I see a lot.  Just haven't cut one down yet.

Measure the SG of the wood if you can.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:40:31 am »
Mimosa is a very Useful Tree...for Medicinal purposes such as Burns...Lesions...and it kills Infections and stops Bleeding...and many other great uses...But the Wood is Brittle...and Breaks easily in High Winds and Snow and Ice.....If I was to use it to build a Bow though...I wou;ld reduce it to only Heartwood...it's a lot denser wood...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tombo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:40 pm »
I'm ready for someone to try this out !! Tom

Offline tiknuttle

• primative hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:41:08 pm »
deffinetly dosent work. already tried it. The wood is to brittle and weak. You could make a 25 lb. bow I guess.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:23 am »
any wood is bow wood ,designed properly ! ,some are just more tolerant than others

Offline madmax46

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »
That piece of information was very interesting, El Destructo.  I'm not from Missouri  (LOL!), but I did have to check it out.  And, of course, you were absolutely correct.  Well, at least I've learned one thing today!   Thanks.     :)
"Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching, and love like you've never been hurt."    ...Mark Twain

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »
Never thought of it as bow wood, for reasons already mentioned. Did take the time to make three arrows from it though. Went squirrel hunting with them. Lost one, and the other two just about disintegrated upon hitting limbs. Needless to say I haven't wasted any more time on Mimosa. I just enjoy the pink blossoms in the spring now.   

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:32:17 am »
The mimosa I have cut was super dense with tight growth rings but a little brittle. I think it is a fine bow wood if you back it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

MelDel89

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »
I'm going to try it! I just cut down a mimosa (or at least I believe thats what it is). I have started working on a great stave and the rings are perfect. It's my first bow, and I am about 5'2 so I dont think I have to worry about backing it seeing as how I wont have to pull it back as hard. I'll let you all know how it goes!!  ;D