Author Topic: first morning bowhunting deer  (Read 2079 times)

kinkfeather

first morning bowhunting deer
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:32:47 pm »
this morning 57 degrees wind northwest as the sun started up slowly all kinds of different color greens beautiful.so calm an quiet then the birds started singing hear something begind me a squirrel in a tree about 10 feet from me came down the tree an dug a little hole by a log an buried a nut not knowing i was their.i am hunting 16 feet off the ground.i just sat back an enjoyed what nature had gave me.i am hunting 15 yd down wind of 3 intersecting deer trails on a ridge.the thermals are starting from underneath me from a large pond you can feel the warmer air.the colors are changing now from dark green shades to lighter greens.the north west winds are starting to blow.down deeper in the woods i see movement of light brown coming my way 3 does working their way up a deer trail.they are not moving fast or slow they are on a mission.i bet i know what mission they are going to bed.it is 8.48 came up a trail unknown to me past with in 40 yd of my stand never knew i was their headed for the thickest brush their.5 weeks ago i went to check that brush out found you could hardly get through it.i do have a honey hole it is just a matter of time.this time spent means more than a pound of gold.memories are more precious gold.kink

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: first morning bowhunting deer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:56:43 pm »
Nothing better than being a part of nature as it wakes up in the morning.  Fifty seven deg isn't too shabby for a morning hunt in early Sept either.
  I'll be out next Sat morning for my first hunt since 2008 and am definitely looking forward to that. If I get to see a few deer it will make it even better than just the beautiful morning will be.  8)
  Sounds like you've got a good spots there. This afternoon will be better for you! Don't forget your camera!!! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline colejack3

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:55:02 pm »
pictures pictures! ;D

kinkfeather

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:45:17 am »
i was burning gravy this morning.well what i mean is burning means time you hunt an gravy is hunting time.the evening hunt was a bummer too hot for me 83 degrees.this morning 47 degrees but i was laying in bed a snoozing.when i went to my stand got busted by a deer in my stand 1 hour latter got busted. i had cover scent on but could not stay still too hot.the deer now know where i am now NOT GOOD AT ALL.do not feel safe in stand now going to the ground too hunt too much work for a 65 year old.my balance in a stand is not good .it is hard to give up some thing you love to to hunting in a stand but the time is come change your hunting i hate it but if you do not have good balance bad things could happen.like fall,like make a bad shot on a deer an thats is not good at all.now alot of hunters will say stay at home you do not need to be in the woods your too old.i say BULL CRAP. i can shoot an hunt as good as most hunters.i will hunt till they burn me in to ashes.kink

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:57:09 am »
Kink, I've been working myself out of the trees for a few years now. I turned 60 this summer and mortality seems to get closer as each year passes.  ::)   I have no problems climbing or feeling safe in a tree stand. I have hunter for over 30 years and 99% was from trees. In the last few years I have spent more time on the ground or at least concentrated more on hunting going to of from my tree stand.
  We do this because we love it! I believe you have to be able to change when change is needed. I'm looking forward to many more years in the woods, even if I have to bring my off road wheelchair along!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kinkfeather

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »
amen to that patb,i believe we have to use our lunar tables more now.they do work.i used to say lunar tables.then i would hunt all day.how does this sound camo up put the wind in your face an hide in the brush close to deer trails an have a good seat an back with no arms.if you are comfortable you can set still longer.you hunt where you want when you want an how you want.if you are up a tree your possibilities are few.we can pick our spot.when stand hunting trees are not where you want them.now does it sound like i am trying to convence my self yes it is hard to change old habits but it can be done.i am hard headed enought when i set my mind to it.i will do it an stay with it.i may not kill as many deer but i am safe.kink

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »
Kink, If I did all this just to kill deer I would have quit years ago or picked up a rifle. It is hard to teach old dogs new tricks but if us old dogs want to continue doing what we love the new tricks are necessary. I know it can be done, I know folks that do it every year but trying to change over 30 years of habits takes time and patience. Also, a few years ago and last year seemed like everything that could go wrong did. I started asking myself..."what else could go wrong!" Then I realized lots of other stuff can and will go wrong so I now take each day as it comers and each situation as it comes and make the best of it...no matter what.  Just like my by-line reads... make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes.  ;)

kinkfeather

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »
pop up deer blind is how i am going to hunt.kink