Author Topic: bamboo flooring again...  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Aries

bamboo flooring again...
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:39:13 pm »
Hey guys I have heard some here and there about bamboo flooring and some of its potential in bow usage. The got a hold of some recently just to check it out, the first thing i notice is the power band violation, which to me would make it no bueno for bow backings.

My blocks are 16 in long would they be reasonable to use as power lams?

and what about the bamboo floorings usefulness as a belly compression wood?   the orientation of boo I have is stacked back to belly..
 such as-  IIIIIIIIIII  -  so it looks like a quarter sawn log.    This has been a topic i have wondered about quite a bit,    Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo flooring again...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:58:56 pm »
Bamboo flooring is quite strong even violated like it is. It is held together with glue that is applied and heat and high pressure is used to join it. I have only made a few bows with boo flooring and all had hickory backing. It would make good power lams too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:37 pm »
my question is, where did you find it?  ive been looking for some myself..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:49 pm »
Is vertical or horiztonal better?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »
Horizontal pressed, not vertical pressed.  You want the grain flat, not on the edge.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:07 pm »
Horizontal pressed, not vertical pressed.  You want the grain flat, not on the edge.

I've heard the opposite. Maybe they both work.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »
I have some horizontal bamboo flooring boards..my friend has a few boxes left over from redoing the basement.  I've noticed the density range was pretty wide...the darker boo is much denser.  

I'd be afraid of what the tiller would be with different density across a 3" wide limb.  I'd say twist and turns on ya.  I gotta try it out though still.  Just not ready for the task.

I've seen a few different bows made on the forums of both kinds of flooring...still made beautiful bows.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »
Those boo boards have very sparse power fibers. Last one I made took 4" of set. So if you go that route then about 4-5" of glued-up reflex may yield a straight standing bow.  Probably my last choice for belly material anymore. Good luck though. ART

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:03 pm »
I've used it as core wood - works fine in that application.
Gordon

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:28 am »
I've used violated bamboo as a mid-lam layer in a tr-lam warbow of 100#. It worked(s) very well. It wasn't bamboo flooring, however.
All else has been regular bamboo backing, with mostly osage and ipe.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:59:20 am »
I find that the bamboo flooring makes quite a good bow.  I have two, the first one I missed weight because bamboo gives up poundage really really fast.  The second bow, after putting 2 inchs of reflex in it, it is a 4 lam bow, bamboo backed, and is 64" nock to nock and 52# @ 27".  After shooting and huning with the bow for 2 seasons, it still has only 1/2 set.

I also have two other bamboo flooring bows.  One is 60" NTN, 42lbs at 26" and a 64 NTN R/D that is 44lbs at 26"  The 60" bow took the most set because i did not put enough reflex in it and made it with a rounded belly instead of a flat belly, and that one that 1 1/2 set.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:19:33 am by stringstretcher »

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:16:44 am »
Very nice charlie!Nice to put a face to a name.Great looking bow and obviously works very well!Considering the blood on the broomsage he musta bled pretty good!Did you run boo horizontal or vertical?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:12:01 am by Thwackaddict »
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA