Author Topic: Filling grain  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Filling grain
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »
I built a red oak pyramid over the long weekend and I must say the oak is not as much fun to work as the osage I just finished. The grain is so open that it looks like it will be a bear to finish. I looked into using a commercial grain filler but it looks like a PITA. Do any of you guys have any suggestions or short cuts to a decent finish for open grained wood?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: Filling grain
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:24 am »
Wipe-on Poly?does good on floors so why not bow wood,i'd go with the gym floor grade.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:48:57 am »
I sand right down to 220 grain. I dampen a paper towel and dampen th wood. Let dry. Lightly sand again and repeat until the grain no longer raises. Stain and I use a spar urethane. Tru Oil will fill grain but I use it only on osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:53:22 am »
I never use fillers. Tru-Oil will fill the grain. You'll have to add a few extra coats probably.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:01:24 pm »
I use tru oil on all my bows.. Usually use 4 thin coats then buff with 0000 steel wool between the next 3 or 4 coats.  fills the grain up nicely on all woods I have tried and leaves a nice glossy smooth finish.  Each coat dries in 3 or 4 hours too. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline walkabout

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:11 pm »
if the grain is really bothersome i use superglue applied iin a few coats and sanded in between. its gotta be pretty bad for me to do this though.

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:52:29 pm »
I wet sand with 320 silicone carbide paper and Watco Danish Oil as a lube. The slurry created does a good job of filling the grain.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:42 pm »
The commercial stuff can be a pain but there are different kinds.  In any case, you will have to do a lot of layering and/or sanding to get a glass smooth finish.  I've tried using a filler once and I seem to remember that the most important step is sealing the wood prior to filling.  The wipe-on variety of sealers and fillers are what I've used.  I don't care for the kind that you spread on with a knife or some other stiff applicator.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr