Linked Events

• UK PA Meet 2011: May 24, 2011 - May 25, 2011

Author Topic: UK Bowyers meet - heads-up on UK event next year  (Read 11732 times)

Offline markinengland

UK Bowyers meet - heads-up on UK event next year
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:21 am »
I wanted to give UK and other interested Bowyers a heads-up on a primitive archery event in the UK next year. I am posting this on behalf of Wally Robson who is organising the event. I am posting it here as I think it would escape the attention of many potential participants if posted within the events section, but can understand if a moderator moves it - but if possible please let it stay in the bows section for just a little while as this will be the first ever shoot organised in the Uk specifically for primitive arhcers!

OK, over to you Wally.........

"I'm a member of PAAS Primitive Archery and Atlatl Society. We have decided to hold a 2 day primitive event at the Magna Carta field archery club in Surrey UK next May 24.
Below is the flier.

If you know anyone who may want to attend please let them know.

UK Primitive Archery Meet 2011 - Plus primitive activities

A relaxed and fun two day primitive archery meet, plus much more, deep in the wilds of Chertsey.

Saturday May 14th at 10am a 20 target course, practise butts and, of course, Robo-Duck (a wicked metal target with a soft heart!) will be opened and can be shot whenever you like. At same time bow making, spear throwing, ISAC atlatl competition, arrow making, fire by friction/percussion demo and competition, trade blankets, flint knapping, yakking, archery dart match, stave swaps, etc. Share your bows, arrows, any primitive items or knowledge all day at friendly gathering.

Sunday May 15th 1st UK primitive archery championship 20 target big game round plus 10 target Bowhunter round. Primitive class (NFAS classification) bows ONLY. 1st 2nd 3rd and 1st junior select desirable item from prize blanket. Registration from 0900 for a 1000 prompt start.

Camping available Friday and Saturday night, reasonable campfires OK. There is one main campfire/barbecue.

£6 for one day or £8 for both. Camping is extra £4 per tent per night or. two nights for £7, smell the value! The two day price includes a light breakfast and Saturday evening spit roasted hog.

Places are restricted as landlord desires no more than 40 cars on site, so book early. Car sharing is encouraged. Please send cheques to Wally Robson before May 10th 2011, or contact wally Robson wally_robson@yahoo.co.uk  ph 01784245443 for more details and forms.                           Or Neal Matheson 01825 760599"

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:11:58 pm by Calendargirl »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: UK Bowyers meet - heads-up on UK event next year
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:31:32 am »
Cheers for the heads up.
I've saved the info...
Lets hope I can find it next year :D.
(I'm no good at/don't believe in planning too far ahead...stuff happens)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »
Del,
Hope to see you.
Mark

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 03:53:29 pm »
Is there such a thing as a "sticky thread" to keep this up the top of the bows forum for a while? I'd really like to see the few UK/European Bowyers make a "mEUjam" if we can! The more who see this the more may come.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:37:17 pm »
Yes, there is a "stickey". I wish I could go, sounds like fun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:23:52 pm »
Thanks Mullet.

We're a very small here in the UK at the moment but every time the few of us get together we all have a great time. All from all countries very welcome!

Mark in England

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:08 am »
Thanks Mullet.

We're a very small here in the UK at the moment but every time the few of us get together we all have a great time. All from all countries very welcome!

Mark in England
Who's small? 18" is a perfectly good height for a cat O:)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »
Mark
Sounds like a fantastic event  ..... I'm putting it in my dairy as I type ..... see ya there

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:17:17 am »
Mark, how far a drive is that from Dover??
Frank from Germany...

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:36:15 am »
Hi Frank,

According to Google maps, its about 95 miles / 152km from Dover by the shortest route.  Approx 1 hour 40 mins drive.  The nearest village is called Lyne, near Chertsey in Surrey.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline wally

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 06:06:09 pm »
Thanks for everyone's interest. This is going to be a great event and besides atlatl, firelighting, knapping, bowmaking etc. it  will include the
1st Primitive Bow Championship in the UK
run by PAAS
(Prehistoric Archery and Atlatl Society).
I know it's a long way off but 12 places are already booked. If you are interested in attending on either or both days please send me send me an E mail wally_robson@yahoo.co.uk.
check out the flyer on start of this thread for list of events.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline AllanM

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:12:31 am »
Hi Wally, definitely be there. Sounds like a great event I don't want to miss. Incidently, I was shooting at NALGO Open last Sunday with Geoff from Magna Carta and I believe you were on the target ahead of us with Carol Pearce/Edwards.
cheers
Allan
I've got a luverly bunch of coconuts

Offline wally

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 06:02:01 pm »
Hello Alan
    thanks for your interest. Yes, I was shooting ahead of you and Geoff. I was shooting a 'plastic' recurve that someone gave me. 1st time for me and it was o/k -but you can't beat the real thing. Back to my primitive bow.
    Welcome aboard for primitive champs plus all things primitive w/e . I've put your name+ son on list and will send you a booking form for if you can definitely make it. This will be a good weekend
wally 
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 08:13:29 pm »
Well done Wally - and thanks for posting here Mark.  I shall be checking my diary and blocking these dates a.s.a.p., we need another  primitive meet in the UK.  Stan

Offline Gary Mac

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:05 pm »
I could possibly make that meet. I live in the UK (Manchester) and make & shoot primitive archery equipment.
I am a GNAS Coach specializing in Fletchery (especialy medieval arrows) and I can share some techniques if you wish?

Gary