Author Topic: Tennessee Classic Bamboo Backed Ipe Reflex Deflex Bow  (Read 21531 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Tennessee Classic Bamboo Backed Ipe Reflex Deflex Bow
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:47:41 am »
Well this is a Blank that David Knight gave Me at the Classic this Year for a Trade I made with Him...It's a bamboo Backed Ipe and forgive Me David....but I forgot what the Handle Woods were... :-[... The Bow is 66 " N-T-N....1 1/4" wide...Tapering to 1/4" Phenolic Tips.....I stained the Bow with Analine Leather Dyes...and went for a Fade Out Style on the Bamboo Back....I sealed it with Lacquer...this was the first Lacquer Job I have done...and I think the Last....not too keen on the Stuff.... :-\ The Bow Draws very Smooth...and hit with Authority at just a little over 200fps with a 500+ grain Cane Arrow...It came in at 58 pounds at 27 inches of Draw...I am very Happy with this Bow and the way it performs...I am hoping to take a Mulie with it this Year...if the Gods are willing........ ;D.

I had lots of Help and Encouragement on this Bow as I built most of it at the Classic during a Bow Build that David and Wade were giving... I would like to especially thank David for the Blank...and Shannon....Josh....Jesse for giving Me the Guts to keep filing on them Tips...I can not believe how Narrow I got them...and they still haven't broke..... :P...I also want to thank Pappy...Eddie.... Greg...Pat....and whoever else I am leaving out for all of the Help and Input into making this Bow...I think it turned out great...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:02:58 pm by Pat B »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

Re: Tennessee Classic Bamboo Backed Ipe Reflex Deflex Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:52:11 am »
Some Closeups of the Bow ...I just could not make myself cover that handle Up with Leather...just too nice looking to hide it!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
dang bro thats  smokin haha  i like it  how thick is  ur  ipe strip in there    looks very nice  brock

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »
Very impressive Michael!!! I have a hard time reducing tips for the same reason ypou did but know that reducing that extra physical weight can sure make a big difference.  Very nice bow!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:05:06 pm »
Thanks Guys! Brock...the Ipe is 3/8" thick...and it also has a 13" long Power Lamination under the Bamboo
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:15:37 pm »
...hey I remember this bow.  ;)  Very nice work Mike!  I was wondering if you were ever gonna post it or not.  Got it bookmarked for Sept BOM contest if that is alright with you.  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »
Thats fine Josh....put it in the Mix
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 12:37:51 pm »
Oh and that's crazy fast too on the Chrono.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »
Josh...I was in shock too...I didn't expect but about 160-170 out of it with them heavy Tonkin Arrows...but I sure will settle for 200+.... ;D...but it wouldn't have mattered ....this Bow will hold some great Memories...no matter what...I had a bunch of Great Guys helping Me with this one...and I will always remember the time I had building it...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:45:01 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »
Great looking bow and 200+fps that is amazing.
What about the lacquer did you not like? I've used it some on arrows and it seemed fine, love how fast it dries.
I also agree, don't cover the handle!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »
Mark...I wasn't too impressed with the Spray On Lacquer...it gave an Orange peel effect that I didn't like...and after about two weeks of shooting...I noticed some small areas of Flaking...so I went back and sanded it all down again...and coated it with Lacquer from a Can...and it seems to be doing nicely now.
2024...We Will Overcome

HatchA

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:59:52 pm »
Beautiful bow!  Gorgeous slim tips too.  From the full draw pic's, it certainly looksike you're getting as much of the limbs working as possible!

Nice fireplace too :D

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:33 pm »
Nice bow, and scary fast! 200+ fps is impressive.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
Thanks Hatch...Yeah...the Limbs are working all the way out...just doesnt look like it ...if you are not up on these Deflex/Reflex Jobbies... ;D I love the Fireplace too...the Wife Hates it though...every time I use it...She Vacuums it out...and pulls the Glass out and Bleaches the Soot and Creosote off of it...can't handle not having clean Glass..... ::)....Women.... ;D

ADB...thanks for the compliment...but the Speed probably goes to the Designer...I am sure that it has a lot to do with the Speed...but my Tillering couldn't have hurt though.... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 02:08:48 pm »
Bout time you finally got my bow ready you know where to send it.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?