Author Topic: My Rehab bow  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
My Rehab bow
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »
  I made this bow to help me get back into archery after my heart surgery. I figured I needed a lighter bow for that but there's always an excuse to make another one right?  ;) 
  It is a Bamboo Backed Ipe bow 65" NtN and 45# @ 28".  I glued in around 2 inches of reflex at glue up.  It maintains around an inch of reflex after sitting unstrung for awhile.  Sits dead flat after unstringing. It has a Yellowheart powerlam and handle accents and Ipe tip overlays.  The bamboo is dyed with brown and black Rit Dye mixed with denatured alcohol.  5 coats of tru oil and 2 coats of satin poly.
 I started off with a leather handle wrap but took it off cause I didn't like how it felt on this bow.  I like the way it feels with just bare wood on this one.  It shoots faster than some of my other bows even though it is a lower weight.  Guess they are starting to get more efficient or something. 
 I named her "Ghost" because I started her when I first found out that I need open heart surgery.  We all know we are going to die some day, but nothing really hammers that nail home to you when you find out that you can either go through a major surgery in a few months or go into heart failure.  Mortality sucks, and I guess you can say I "put my whole heart into this one" LOL.  Here she is. Thanks for looking.  :)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:50:23 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: My Rehab bow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »
 That's a pretty bow. Isn't the rest on the wrong side? ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:33 pm »
Thanks alot, Eddie!  :)  harr-dee-harr, harr... yeah that one never gets old...  ::)   ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:05:28 pm by Josh »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:54:57 pm »
Very good looking.  I like that boo.  I'm sure it will serve it's purpose well, Josh. 
1’—>1’

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »
sweet looking bow Josh-tiller looks perfect,like the handle as is to gotta try that ipe sometime-Hammertime

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »
Thank you Parnell and Hammertime.  Your compliments mean alot to me.  :)

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:42 pm »
Gorgeous bow Josh, great tiller and finish work, I really like the straight profiles too, but I'm willing to bet you just ruined the plans of a few guys on here ::) ;D 
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20:21 pm »
well hell guess you dont need me after all . very nice bow ..... got it bookmarked for backed bow for sept. .....wait thats your line lol

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »
Thank you Nate!  :)  I like the straight profile ones too, this one was gonna be another R/D but I got scared of the 8 nodes in this one didn't want to chance that design with this piece of boo.  :)

Thank you Ken... I was gonna type that same joke about BOM in a little bit but you beat me to it.   ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:58 pm »
Good loking bow, Josh! Heck yah, why would you want to cover up that pretty handle?

Did you have your valve replacement surgery already?

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:50:37 pm »
Thank you adb... I haven't had the surgery yet I am supposed to have it after I get back from my honeymoon, so late October early November.  I had a CT with contrast today and I go see my Cardiologist next Wednesday.  That's when I pick my surgeon and schedule my arteriogram. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:05 pm »
Nice Josh! Tiller is right on!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:41 am »
Nice Bow Josh...but next time You take them Outdoor Full Draw Photos....put a little Matte Finish on the Head would ya....kind bright with all that glare...hard to get a good look at that perfect Tiller Job............ ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:15:34 am »
Thank you Pat!   :)

Mike are you saying I should spray Satin Poly on my HEAD?!  I LOL'ed... good stuff my friend.  :D