Author Topic: cherokee bow finished!  (Read 10699 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

cherokee bow finished!
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:39:25 pm »
Heres my newly finished cherokee style hunting bow, rectangular cross section and some slightly reflexed tips. This bow was from the sister stave of my previous bow the "mayan" bow I posted about a month ago. The stave was mulberry, it had a propeller twist abot 5 knots and it was bent of to one side. I heated this one about 8-10 times so I might have damaged it some what hence the patches, sinew and rawhide. It started out at 63 inches but I came under wight so I decided to shorten it and add a little reflex in the tips. After doing this I discoverd a crack on one of the limbs so I patched it with sinew. It only draws to 26 and is about 40-45 lbs hopefully itll make it through a couple thousand shots. The handle is leather and the string is artificial sinew. I was thinking of taking this one squirrel hunting, ive seen many squirrels around and they seem like good targets. It ended up with 2 1/4 inches of set. Im making some cane arrows to go with it and Im almost done. Here are some pics of the bow, Note: the white part of the sinew is where it is cracked. Any comments appreciated especially on how to reduce set for my next one.

CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: cherokee bow finished!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:45:36 pm »
beautiful bow i love these clean line no frills meat makers ! as to the set whats the width ? if i remember right mulberry should be a lil wider than osage so i would say 1 3/4 at the least . either way great bow have fun shooting it  ;D

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:51:40 pm »
thanks Ken. width is something like 1 3/8 maybe that my problem, im always making narrow bows. I have been wanting tomake a paddle bow for the longest time, so maybe thatll be my next project..
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »
very nice, great job savin it from the cracks. im gonna have to finish mine and post it soon.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:39:48 pm »
The set in this case may be moisture content, which may also explain the crack if the moisture was really rushing out of it.... tiller looks great, prolly last a long time for ya... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:56:35 am »
Nice looking bow.

Offline SA

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:44 pm »
nice.. you cant beat  that style  ;)
Shawn Acker

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:43:24 pm »
Very nice job Cesar! Would'nt expect anything else from you.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:45:39 pm »
thanks for the nice comments everyone!. Hey Ron on my next bow Im planning planning to use some of that skin you sent me. itll be a plains style sinew backed double curve bow with snake skin :)
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:15:38 am »
Great job!!! The tiller looks great!!! I love the tips on a  cherokee D bow. The sinew patch also looks good...Hope it holds out for ya. Did you chase a ring or scrape the bark. I have a mulberry limb drying and the rings are very small. I heard you can do it either way, but I haven't tried any mulberry yet. Thanks for sharing

Jon

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:45:57 am »
thanks for the nice comments everyone!. Hey Ron on my next bow Im planning planning to use some of that skin you sent me. itll be a plains style sinew backed double curve bow with snake skin :)

Can't waite to see it!
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:31:19 am »
hey straight arrow i chased a sap ring, it was more than 1/8 inch thick, so it was easy/ i gotta try an all heartwood mulberry bow.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:14 am »
I love these simple woodland bows and your interpretation came out well. The knotty character only adds to it's beauty. Tiller is right on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 07:09:07 am »
Looks great! Very nice tiller. Is that a before or after pic of the crack? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 07:28:46 am »
Great looking bow,tiller looks dead on.Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good