Author Topic: Knife sharpening kits  (Read 6070 times)

Offline agd68

Knife sharpening kits
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:24:49 pm »
Hey All.
A
while back someone was talking about a sharpening kit that is better than the Lansky kit. I think it was called a K & M kit. Does anyone know for sure what this kit is and where I can find them.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline cracker

Re: Knife sharpening kits
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:58:08 pm »
Sorry I'm old school I still use whet stone ceramic stick and leather strap.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:18:44 am »
                                 I can f%^& up a good Knife with a piece of Carborundum....I have to have something that keeps me in line.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 02:30:30 am »

agd68;

Was that the warthog?  I have one but not really impressed with it.  I still prefer the whet stone, and leather, or cardboard.

Wayne

Offline WillAdams

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:17:17 am »
Probably the ``KME Knife Sharpening System''.

William

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:36:20 am »
WillAdams that was it, do you know if they have a website ?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 10:43:33 am »
do you know if they have a website ?

PM sent.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:44:21 am »
go to kmesharp.com
i ust googled it and thats came up,works on broadheads also
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:51:23 am »
i like stones , although i do use a coffee cup turned upside down for touch ups. nice ceramic rim puts a fine edge on one

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 12:33:40 pm »
Why do you need an elaborate, expensive sharpening system? A whetrock and a piece of leather will put a shaving edge on a knife in a couple minutes or less, and you can carry it in your pocket. :) If you need a machine to sharpen your knives, you need to throw those stainless blades in the creek and get a knife with some real carbon steel in it. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:10:04 pm »
Why do you need an elaborate, expensive sharpening system?

I'm a son of a butcher, learned a little about sharpening knives on stones and steeling the blade to re-align the cutting edges.  But I can get my blades (knife or broadheads) much sharper much faster using my Gatco knife sharpener.  It's all well and good if you can duplicate the exact same angle with every stroke on a whetstone, but if you are a degree or two off with each stroke, it will take you many more strokes to sharpen the edges due to the rounding off effect.  Each stroke removes steel leaving less blade to do the work.  Fewer strokes, longer life.  Got my latest Gatco in a Bargain Cave of a well known Nebraska sporting goods store for $18.  Should last at least 15 years like the previous one did.  Mind you, it ain't worth a tinker's spit on stone blades.   >:(

Over the years I have learned that a nice straight bevel on the blade only rarely needs to be resharpened, more often a little stropping on a piece of leather or cardboard re-aligns the edge and returns the tool to it's wicked intent. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »
jw sounds like you know your sharpening
wanna sharpen my woodsmans for me  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:42:57 pm »
Why do you need an elaborate, expensive sharpening system?

I'm a son of a butcher, learned a little about sharpening knives on stones and steeling the blade to re-align the cutting edges.  But I can get my blades (knife or broadheads) much sharper much faster using my Gatco knife sharpener.  It's all well and good if you can duplicate the exact same angle with every stroke on a whetstone, but if you are a degree or two off with each stroke, it will take you many more strokes to sharpen the edges due to the rounding off effect.  Each stroke removes steel leaving less blade to do the work.  Fewer strokes, longer life.  Got my latest Gatco in a Bargain Cave of a well known Nebraska sporting goods store for $18.  Should last at least 15 years like the previous one did.  Mind you, it ain't worth a tinker's spit on stone blades.   >:(

Over the years I have learned that a nice straight bevel on the blade only rarely needs to be resharpened, more often a little stropping on a piece of leather or cardboard re-aligns the edge and returns the tool to it's wicked intent. 
I use the Gatco also. It doesn't look as fancy, but it works just as well. In fact, it works better for me because I'm cheap.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:20:59 am »
I can sharpen on a stone and learned on a stone, but I pull out the 20+y/o Lansky every now and then to put a razor edge on my knives.

The stones have coated with steel, wash em off with dish detergent, hot water and a little brillo pad.
The stones fell out........J B Weld.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:53:05 am »
I use a Lansky for hunting knives, with a leather strop to finish the edge. I also have the Warthog sharpener, and it works like majic to keep the kitchen knives sharp. I can use a whetstone, but it takes much longer, and the edge ends up not nearly as keen.