Author Topic: Fresh deer jerkey?  (Read 9673 times)

Cacatch

Fresh deer jerkey?
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:23:40 pm »
Does anybody ever make fresh deer jerkey? I ask because I bought a pack of the wild game jerkey seasoning at WalMart the other day and I was reading on it where it says to freeze wild venison for at least I think it said 6 months to remove the possibilty of parasites. I know fresh meet usually gets cooked rather than made into jerkey but what do you guys think about this? Would you be afraid to eat fresh deer jerkey?

Thanks,
CP

Offline Parnell

Re: Fresh deer jerkey?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:41:56 pm »
I can't say for sure, but I've read that meat is free of parasites after 2 week of freezing.  Anyone got empirical evidence?
1’—>1’

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:25:09 pm »
Yeah, one would think it wouldn't take that long to be free of parasites once it has been frozen. And I am not sure if the box said 6 months or not, but I believe it did. I know it wasn't 6 days. It was at least 6 weeks. 6 something anyway.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »
I was under the impression that it had to deep frozen for 60 days .....if wild game....Google it....thats what I understood....and Thats what I found
http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_Files/Food/Jerky.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:06:48 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:42 pm »
Don't know about the parasites..But freezing the meat will make it easier to slice as it thaws and will draw alot more blood out of the meat.Better for the marinating process.jmo Good luck on the meat snacks.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:14:10 pm »
Thanks guys. I guess I'll freeze it for at least a couple months. I'm glad I read the back of the box because it had never crossed my mind that if I kill a deer I couldn't just cut off a few fresh strips and make them into jerkey the same day. I guess it makes sense though. I guess cooking would be a different story though right? Since you get the meat to a high temperature in the process?

CP

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:53:33 pm »
Yeah....you can eat fresh kill...all you have to do is get the core temperature up above 165 to kill bacteria and parasites....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:10 pm »
Ive made jerky fresh off the deer several times - ain't dead yet ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:36:56 pm »
I'd be far more concerned about domestic meat from the store than deer meat. Wild hog or bear I'd want to cook or freeze first, but most of the deer parasites I've heard of are more likely to be in the internal organs than the muscle meat. I've made it from fresh deer meat before and haven't had any experiences like that guy in the Alien movie so far. ;D I kinda doubt if the Indians popped a deer into the chest freezer for six months before they cut it up and dried it and they lived off wild game for thousands of years.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:26:30 pm »
 I've done the same as cowboy and hillbilly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:41 am »
Im with mullet hillbilly and cowboy. ;) I usually hang mine for as many days as weather will allow,usually 7 days max and make jerky,sausage and summer sausage as well as steaks and such.If mine have bacteria or parasites i guess they get a real good chance to grow!Never had any problems or complaints and all my deer are nice and tender regardless of sex or age.Imparts wonderful flavor to em!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 02:33:38 am »
You'd have to have Pappy's Walk In Coolers to hang one here to age...it's always in the 80's to 90's for Bow Season....this in not Conducive to imparting any sort of Good Flavor to the Meat..... :P....so hanging is totally out of the Question here....I Quarter mine...and then Ice themeat down for a week in 100 quart Coolers...draining the Water as the Ice Melts...this wicks away the Blood...and keeps the Meat from soaking in Water...then I cut it up...make my Tenderloin...Backstrap and Steak and Jerky cuts...then run what I can through my Tenderizer...and grind the Rest...When I am done with a Deer Carcass...and Singin Dog or Buzzard would turn away from it.......... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:01 am »

The only parasites I have found in deer, down here at least were liver flukes.  I don't know if the eggs, are in the blood or not.
I would think the salt in the seasoning or marinade, would pretty much do the little critters in, as well as being dried.  But I don't know if it would kill them or not.  Some of them are hardy little farts.  Maybe a good Bourbon marinade would pickle them.  But it was what our ancestors lived on for quite some time.  Of course worms were a problem at times.  Whether or not from the jerky I don't know. They would supposedly just keep adding stuff to the pot as they obtained it.  Not much was thrown out because it was more than a couple days old...... :P Don't forget they didn't have a wash your hands sign in the out house.  If you wanted a biscuit, you just reached out and got it yourself. ;)  :P They ate a lot of bad meat, drank bad water, bad whiskey,consorted with bad women, over worked themselves, abused their bodies, and teeth, and somehow still lived to the ripe old age of fifty! :o ;D

Wayne

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:04:16 am »
You'd have to have Pappy's Walk In Coolers to hang one here to age...it's always in the 80's to 90's for Bow Season....this in not Conducive to imparting any sort of Good Flavor to the Meat..... :P....so hanging is totally out of the Question here....I Quarter mine...and then Ice themeat down for a week in 100 quart Coolers...draining the Water as the Ice Melts...this wicks away the Blood...and keeps the Meat from soaking in Water...then I cut it up...make my Tenderloin...Backstrap and Steak and Jerky cuts...then run what I can through my Tenderizer...and grind the Rest...When I am done with a Deer Carcass...and Singin Dog or Buzzard would turn away from it.......... ;D

Mike you should be ashamed them poor old buzzards need a bit to eat too ;) good idea on the cooler setup.last year it was too hot here to hang so i had to do em fresh(70 degrees when i killed my 8pt).i'll have to keep that in mind.Is they much difference in taste between muleys and whitetails?
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:26 am »
                                                 A big Difference in Taste....the Mulies come Pre-Seasoned...they eat tons of Sage.......... >:D

I prefer the Whitetail over a Mulie any day..........
2024...We Will Overcome