Author Topic: Padauk Longbow  (Read 15641 times)

Offline swamp yeti

Re: Padauk Longbow
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:49 pm »
Very nice.

Offline Shooter

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 05:14:45 pm »
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.  8)

Marc, I've had mixed results with padauk. Sometimes insane set and sometimes none. Chrysaling seems to happen with plain-sawn more than rift or quarter. Every time I've tempered reflex into it, it chrysaled. This bow was tempered straight, is quarter-sawn and has perfectly straight grain with big rings. The only draw back with quarter-sawn is the exposed pores which are huge and can fret quite easily.

Padauk is a slow learner but once educated, it never forgets. It does smell nice too. The color runs out of it forever though, and gets on everything. I took some more pics this morning to show how much color runs out after 3 fully 'cured' coats of teak & tung oil. That's what comes off after a quick rub over the entire length of the bow. The color stayed in the grain on the boo even after being 'washed' with solvent.

A fret that popped at a pore - not a big deal since it terminates fairly evenly and can be smoothed out (don't mind the fuzz from the rag). It looks much worse than it really is. I shot the bow all day yesterday without it lifting any further. I've had them much deeper than that and have never had to patch the stuff. Just padauk bein padauk.

The last one shows some figuring.

Not pretending to be an expert or anything. Just thought I'd share what I've been able to learn from trial and lots of error. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:48:13 pm by Shooter »

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 09:57:09 pm »
That's a super bow Shooter,I like it. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 02:49:32 am »
Great bow; tiller looks spot on!
Frank from Germany...

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 03:54:28 am »
Shooter
Well done.
Beauty, simplicity, and power all in one.... Dang Nice Bow!
Great Tiller.

God Bless
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:49 am »
Very nice bow!  What glue did you use and what prep on the wood?  I tried to use padauk for a glued up riser back in my glass recurve building days and I could not get glue to stick to it.  I had trouble getting a finish to stick to it as well if I'm remembering right.  Gorgeous wood though I seem to remember ruining shirts working it as the red would not wash out.  Osage does the same thing.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
Great job. I really like that wood combo.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Shooter

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »
Thanks again, guys. Glad you like it. Ya'll are too kind ;D

Hey, George. I use TBlll. I make sure to toast the side I'm gluing with some quick, close heat. Then a light sanding on any scorched areas, but I try not to scorch any of it. For degreasing, varsol works better than acetone for some reason.

You're right about the color. I use wet/dry sandpaper and have to wash the color out of every piece before using it on anything else. It's real slippery and hard on tools as well. And padauk splinters are no joke. Must have some kinda toxin to hurt like they do.

You're right about the finish too. Danish oil penetrates real good, even though it doesn't really seem like much is happening. Teak-&-tung don't seem to coat all that well. I can't use urethanes and the like so I have no clue how they'd work.

Bruce

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »
That's good info Bruce, thanks.  You made a beautiful bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 01:12:24 pm »
What a nice bow... Tiller and finish work look real nice.  I've always wanted to try Padauk as a bow wood but have been scared of it fretting as I have heard it is notorious for.  It is one of my favorite woods to work with though.. I have included it into a bunch of my handle risers and knife scales.  You have inspired me to try it in bending portions of a bow now.  Got this fine weapon bookmarked for October BOM contest.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bowmo

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 01:24:37 pm »
Good lookin' bow man! I've heard bad things about padauk as a core wood, only used it sandwiched between bamboo and osage. Nice job, hope that thing hold together. Seems like it could be like bloodwood, get a couple hunderd arrows through it with no negative signs and then BOOM.

dan

Offline Shooter

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 07:07:29 pm »
Thanks, Josh, sounds good. Give it a go your own self.

Dan, thanks. It's approaching 500 shots as of today. I'll keep my fingers crossed ;D

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »
Smmoth lines great color combo congrats on a fine bow!

AncientArcher
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Story Teller

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 01:13:05 am »
Wow, Shooter!  Color me green with envy.  Thanks for sharing.  You have provided a wealth of tips from working to gluing to finishing high-oil woods too.  Great!

Story Teller
Story Teller
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 01:46:26 am »
I just got a bit of a chubby from looking at that thing.  :o  What a beauty! Those tips look great.