Author Topic: Kviljo Takes Self Bow For September!  (Read 6344 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Kviljo Takes Self Bow For September!
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:03:57 am »
Congratulations to Kviljo from Norway for Winning Sept Self BOM Contest!!

This bow was started nearly a year ago, and boy was it worth the wait!

From Kviljo Dec. 2009:

...before you start complaining about measurements - yes, this one follows exact measurements taken from an original MR bow Tongue
The measurements are from Bow A in Secrets of the English Warbow. - which means it is 75" between the string nocks.
The nocks are buffalo, but I think they should be reasonably good both in shape and size.

The bow weighs 36 oz, and according to Badgers Mass Formula, it should withstand 120 pounds at 30 inches. Some of you might remember my "replica" 55#@28"/70#@34" MR bow - this is the sister stave. One deflexed and one reflexed. This one, however, seems to become quite a bit heavier - at least over 100#.

I have given the stave the measurements from the original, so it was nearly tillered before I put it on the tiller. There are some adjustments needed because of the difference in the staves, which I will touch up by only scraping the belly. - which means it will end up slightly destressed compared to the original.

...and finally finished it up in Sept 2010:

Just thought I would give an update on this bow. It hung on the wall for about 8 months waiting for higher humidity in my workshop, untill a few weeks ago when I decided to try this one out as a Standard Arrow flight bow at the Norwegian Championship that were held not long ago.

It is drawing ~80# @ 28" and ~100# @ 32". The bowyers mark is carved into the bow and represents I and M, which are my initials - Ivar Malde. If I weren't making a replica, I would have made it bend more towards the tips. However, I like that it has about the same tiller as the drawn original bow shown in Soars "Longbow". I decided to have the reflexed limb as the upper limb, so it might look like it is bending a liitle too much at the lower limb. I don't remember the exact amount of reflex the stave had, but the bow is straight even just after it has been shot.

The string is made from dacron and is about 3mm thick. I also made a 15 strand FF string for it, which I tested with a standard arrow today. The FF string made the bow sound like a guitar, but it didn't shoot measurable further. The Standard Arrow landed between 174 and 182 meters with both strings. The arrow was fairly point heavy, so I think it should be fairly easy to pass 200 meters with the bow.

The bow also won "Selfbow of the year" at the Bowyers competition during the Championship. With a shot of 174 meters at the Standard Arrow flight shoot, it came in third. An ash/walnut ~100# warbow shot 212 meters. (which I believe is a new world record for it's class!)

Sample of the praise this bow recieved on the website:

"So happy to see this bow finished. Great job."
  -ryoon4690

"I don't come in here to often, but I am glad I did today. That is a really nice looking bow. Congratulations." -Lombard

"Very nice looking bow." -CraigMBeckett

"Man  that's real eye  candy:)" -ZenBowyer

"Very nice and clean work!"  -Steilpassfänger

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:27:20 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline adb

Re: Kviljo Takes Self Bow For September!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:24:59 am »
You got my vote... well done!

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:45:44 pm »
Good one, congratulations Kviljo.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »
Congrats.  Well Deserved win.
Nate Danforth

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
Woho! ;D

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »
Sure is a well deserved win!
(It's the first warbow I see taking BOM since I'm coming here...if I recall that right)
Frank from Germany...

Offline kerryb

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:53:23 pm »
congrats. very nice bow
Milan Mo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:09:14 am »
Congrat,very fine looking bow. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:17 pm »
Such a work of art.  Very nice.  Congrats!   ;D