Author Topic: My Hunt in Pictures  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
My Hunt in Pictures
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:46:45 pm »
Well, the past three days didn't result in a deer but lots of memories were made and beautiful country seen.  I headed for Warren County, VA on Thursday.  I planned to camp south of Front Royal just off the Shenandoah River.  I was hunting about 20 miles north on a friends property. 

Thursday afternoon the wind was swirling around and as fate would have it, I got busted.  At about 5:00 pm. a doe was headed straight for me then at 15 yards she lifted her head, smelt the air and bolted before I could get a shot.  An hour later five were working towards me and I knew it was only a matter of time until they got wind of me.  I could feel it lightly on the back of my neck.  Sure enough at about 40 yards the lead doe raised her head and began sniffing the air and looking around.  She then turned 90 degrees and led them off to safety.

I returned to my camp, built a fire and had some dinner - beef stew I made before leaving.  It was perfect camping weather.  I sat by the fire and journaled for a while then turned in.

I got up at 4:20 a.m., washed up, ate and headed to the woods.  I was in the tree at 6:05.  I sat until 11:30 then broke for lunch and was back in the tree at 1:00 pm.  I then sat until 7:00 pm and did not see a single deer.  I was exhausted.  I returned to camp worn out and after enjoying the fire for a few minutes I turned in for the night. 

Same routine this morning as last but I did see two does at about 40 yards moving through the woods but no shot.  I got down at 11:00 am. and returned to break my camp down.  I got to know the camp manager and was amazed.  She is 84 years old.  She lives out there all alone.  She is owner, manager and caretaker.  I would not have guess she was a day over 65 and in good shape for 65.  She told me all kinds of interesting stories over the campfire.  She was burning wood from a picnic table.  She said it was rotting so she had to take a sledge to it and now it's good firewood.  She said she loves it out there and wouldn't have it any other way. 

Below are pics I took over the weekend.  Leaves are beginning to change a bit and soon they will be a kaleidoscope of color.  I hope you enjoy.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: My Hunt in Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:33:50 pm »
That's some awful perty country Jimmy!

Hey! Where'd you get that powder? My tab creaks and moans and I bet that would shut it up.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:45:11 pm »
My dad bought that bottle in the 1950s.  I've had it since I was a little boy.  I just put baby powder in it.  Yes, it works and you can puff it into the air and get a scientific wind check.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:17:18 pm »
looks like a fine hunt.  i have about a dozen bottles of wind checker, seems i have to loan eddie one everytime we hunt.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 03:04:46 pm »
Purty place, wish our leaveschanged like that, but then I'd have to get new Camo. Chris I need enough of those bottles so I could find one no matter where I looked.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:00:43 am »

Jimmy, sorry you didn't get a Deer, but sounds like you got some good down time, and a great new Friend.  As for them "winding" you, ......Are you using "Unscented" and or unmedicated baby powder? ;)  Great looking country.  I used to date a Girl from Disputanta, near Fort Lee, And Petersburg,Va.  Nice country there also.

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:50:33 am »
Beautiful country, Glad you found a good place to hunt while you are away from home. :) and got trophy chickens to boot.  ;) ;D   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
Some really excellent pictures taken, Jimmy.  Like the one by the fire.
1’—>1’

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »
   who  cares!!!   the  spirit  is  alive  and  well  in  you  my  friend!!!  thanks,,  I  needed  this!!!!   JEFFW

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:37 pm »
Nice looking country, but those are some funny looking grouses they have up there. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:29 pm »
Hillbilly - yep and they crow!   Hopefully, connect this weekend.