Author Topic: Vine Maple - Compression versus Tension examples - Example #2!!!  (Read 13325 times)

330bull

Hi Folks,

I know that VM has been a hot topic lately, especially since I have been pimping it pretty hard (see trading post).  Oh yeah...and Gordon has been cranking out some killer VM bows!!!

Here are some pictures of a stave that I cut and roughed out for Chris in Texas.  The bottom half is the compressing side, while the upper half is the tension side.  In an ideal VM stave, the tension side automatically has reflex built into it.  And as you can see by the pictures, the tips already have 2-3" of reflex right out of the bandsaw.  This provides a lot of "pop" in a VM bow.

Enjoy!

Joe

Folks:  Scroll on down to my 3rd wave of pictures, I think I show how much more energy is stored in the tension stave!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 04:10:44 pm by 330bull »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Vine Maple - Compression versus Tension examples
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:20:44 pm »
Cool VM stave.  I have never worked VM but have heard that only one side is worth making a bow out of. I imagine it is the tension side. I'd bet the compression side would deflex a bit after splitting.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »
That is a pretty cool demonstration. Looks like a left handed bow to me.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 03:25:35 pm »
Nice character stave. 

J. D. Duff

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 03:29:26 pm »
Joe, I haven't had time to do anything with the staves ya sent me. busy, busy, busy
Nice demo

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

330bull

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:32:44 pm »
Oops I forgot the full length stave picture.  You can still make a bow from the compression wood, but you'll need way more limb mass for the same poundage, which will result in less speed overall.

This bow should be able to be RH or LH pretty easily.  Yeah this was a character bow but I guarantee it will sling some arrows.  The more I work with VM, the more I am determined that Tension sides are the ONLY side to work with.  It's just so much more efficient.

Joe

330bull

Re: Vine Maple - Compression versus Tension examples - Example #2!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 04:23:55 pm »
Here's example #2.  I have no idea what's motivating me to do this; I guess I'm pretty excited to show everyone the "magic" of Vine Maple.

The first three pictures show another stave I cut in half yesterday.  The lower stave facing "back down" is the compression side.  The upper stave facing "back up" is the tension side.  Notice how much more reflex is in the Tension stave?...Nuts!

The 4th picture is actually 2 pics spliced together.  I show how straight the compression stave is when stood up against a post.  Then I pull the stave from the center towards me.  This force is the same force applied as if being pulled back like an actual bow.  Notice how much the compression stave bends?

The 5th picture is actually 4 pics spliced together.  From left to right, the stave is placed against a post with no force.  Notice the natural reflex?  The second frame shows me applying the same force as if being pulled back like a bow.  I could BARELY budge the stave.  The third frame is a 2nd attempt to budge the stave, no dice.  The 4th frame is a non cropped pic of me from the 3rd frame.  I attempted to show that I am not a small dude; I can apply a decent amount lot of force.  However, the tension side has SO MUCH energy that I can barely budge it.  This  stave will make a smoking hot bow.  The beauty of VM is that it is EVERYWHERE in Oregon.  I love it!

As a last note, the piece I used was cut directly in half.  Both the compression stave and tension staves were the exact same thickness.

I hope you enjoyed the show and learned something from it.

Joe

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 04:46:10 pm »
You call that tension wood? Now this is tension wood... ;D

Harvested in December and was straight when cut.

Gordon

330bull

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 06:00:43 pm »
Nice!  I'll bet that this stave will do the same with no bark after a few months!

Offline white wood

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 06:27:56 pm »
question for you Joe. when you bandsaw the staves in half, how do you know which is the center for tension/compression. for example, how do you cut them in half not knowing which side is compresion/tension? can you tell by "reading" the stave which side is which? are there any tell tale signs like limbs on one side but not the other or are you just taking the chance when you cut them in half? just wondering how you tell which side is which before you cut them, thanks -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 08:48:03 pm »
I don't know how Joe does it, but I mark the tension side before I cut the tree down.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 08:50:11 pm »
I'll bet that this stave will do the same with no bark after a few months!

Yep. :)
Gordon

Offline white wood

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 10:12:42 pm »
gordon, how do you tell which side is the tension side? are there any signs on the bark that let you know? -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

330bull

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:18:25 pm »
I just "scuff" the tension side with my saw blade.  It's that easy.

I made a simple picture that helps describe how to identify tension versus compression.  Essentially the perfect piece is one that starts almost horizontal and then curves UP, not DOWN.

Enjoy!

duffontap

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 11:27:11 pm »
Good examples Gordon and 330.  Keep up the advertising.  There is no shortage of this super-strong stuff. 

J. D. Duff