Author Topic: Molle/China experiment.....bow #3 ( 49" elm self bow )  (Read 12644 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Molle/China experiment.....bow #3 ( 49" elm self bow )
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:01 am »
Good looking bow Rich,lots of bend for such a short bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »
Toomany@ here's that "headon shot"....all the bows have the same plan view so this pic would look the same for all 3 bows

Pappy, Okie@ thanks fellas, means a lot.
rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »
you do amazing work man.. by the way i got some leather we could make ya a longer belt if ya need

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »
dont really need no leather......but ya could go ahead and make some biscuits and gravy  ;D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »
Yes, that is an absolutely wicked bow. Thanks for the front profile pic, very nice looking bow. You should start chrono these guys one of these days! To do the math; Shorter bows = faster bows + mollegabet bows = faster bows, ...so..., short + molly = fastest bows? :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline half eye

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 07:33:41 pm »
Toomany,
      I dont know if it is that simple. The long levers/siyah's give the cast and speed......but if ya "flip" the lever angle forward it has to be a low angle (no more than 30 degrees).....that keeps the brace height low and improves cast because of the longer power stroke.
      If ya go short with a self bow ya would need a little deflex in the working limbs to aid in the full draw length.....that ups the brace height and reduces the cast (speed would still be there though). Having said that my experiments have shown me that the levers have to be long in either case because of the mechanical advantage gives great performance even at moderate draw weight. But, there has to be some limit on how long ya can go without hurtin something else.....haven't figured that out yet.
     Like ya said though the design (mollegabet) gives really good performance and manners so you are pretty much good on that idea that short to moderate mollegabets with a couple of tweeks is gonna give a damned fine bow, for sure.
rich

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 09:23:55 pm »
Really awesome .You sure get some great bend out if those shorties and with little stacking?I am gonna have to try that is the elm quarter sawn?Anyways like your work-Hammertime

Lombard

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
Those look good Rich. Got to put one of those on my to do list.

Grunt

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
Damn, just got a Ottawa bow under my belt and now I'm going to have to learn the ins and outs of Mollegabets. Thanks for posting Halfeye. I second the idea of you compiling your experiments into a book.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »
Very nice bow, half eye. Use it in good health. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 10:29:11 pm »
"      I dont know if it is that simple. The long levers/siyah's give the cast and speed......but if ya "flip" the lever angle forward it has to be a low angle (no more than 30 degrees).....that keeps the brace height low and improves cast because of the longer power stroke."

Now your really learning me something! Ya ever thought of carving into the sides of the siyahs, with some sort of design, or pattern? Maybe a dragon? (You can tell I have admired some of your past work, :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline half eye

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 11:28:32 pm »
Thanks again fellas,
    Before I answer ya fellas thought I'd show you that all the experiments dont good perfect. Added some pics of a decrowned ash with walnut backer, and even tiller.....it WAS real pretty but decide to "fold" at about shot 250 or so. It did not break clean through just sort of folded.... but hey I now know that 1-1/2" limbs on a stave Mollegabet dont work......figured if I was gonna share, it might as well be everything, including the failures.

Hammertime...Ya it's fully quartersawed...no backer. I believe that the long levers are what keeps the low sting angle.

Lombard / Grunt...the design is really easier than a longer bow design, cause ya only got to tiller in 1/2 a limb....only tricky part is making sure the limbs are the same thickness from side to side

Thanks, George....probably going to give it away, cause I just cant get used to the asymetric tiller.

Toomany,....I know I could shave some off the side of the levers without hurting the mechanical stability any so some shallow carving on the lever sides should not be any issue at all.....have to throw that into the experiment.

Thanks Scott, it's the long evers and short working limbs .....puts the fulcrum near the grip so the string angle seems to stay pretty consistant even at the longer draws.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lombard

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 12:49:58 am »
Broken bow, I hate it when that happens.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 04:45:02 am »
Read an interesting post on making the levers scalloped on the sides to look like an I beam so as they retain the stiffness but shed some weight or holes cot through in places to reduce weight. I figure you to be the man to test it so what do you think Guru ?
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline half eye

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 07:59:15 am »
Lombard...all part of the process, I guess. No big deal long as I get some knowlege at the autopsy  :)

Jeff....you my friend are very bad, I-beams and holes? that gets a mental picture going that is probably gonna get me into trouble.