Author Topic: Molle/China experiment.....bow #3 ( 49" elm self bow )  (Read 12643 times)

Grunt

Re: Molle/China experiment.....bow #3 ( 49" elm self bow )
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 09:13:10 am »
I'm looking at the limb proportions.  Is a good rule of thumb 2/5 levers 3/5 working limb?

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:32 am »
I love these bows but the old speed versus cast argument still doesn't make much sense. Speed is cast,  all other things being equal.

Offline half eye

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 12:41:44 pm »
hey fellas,

Grunt....the limbs are equally divided on these what makes it look different is that the bottom of the lever fade is part of the lever (non bending) but it appears the levers start where they get skinny......but I lay them out equal 1/2's and the lever fade goes above the line.

PatM.....speed and cast would be the same, if everything was equal. I'm differentiating between a high brace 50# shooting 500 grain arrows versus a 50#, low brace shooting 700-800 grain arrows. If both of those arrows leave the bow at realitively the same speed then the heavy arrow has more momemtum (cast). The greater weight (with the same launch velocity) will travel a farther distance. So when I shoot these bows down a long field I have noticed the same bow firing 500 grain arrows and 700 grain arrows if the design is efficeiently transferring energy the heavier arrows will often time fly farther than the lighter ones do....The bow is also quieter in the firing sequence because more energy is being transfered to the projectile. So while the two arrows may leave at about the same velocity the heavier arrow can still travel farther because of the sheer momentum that it has.
    Dont know if I explained it right but I do believe there is an efficiency quotient in the mix that does make cast (distance traveled) different from speed (velocity of the missle).  But that don't make my 2 cents worth anymore than anybody else's It is simply stating my thought process in judging weather or not my bows are efficient.....and why I put more weight on "distance traveled" than I do on launch velocity.

Offline PatM

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 01:11:11 pm »
You would have to prove that with a multiple chrono test and then a series of flight shots. The fact that one bow has a lower brace height changes the energy storage more than the bow design. If the bows were both shooting at exactly the same initial velocity then the point would be valid but I think the bow shooting the heavier arrow would also have a faster initial velocity which would expalin the farther shots.
 It would be worth batting these ideas around on the flight forum on Paleoplanet. Lots of theories and practical testing on arrow weight, velocity, distance etc. on there.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 01:25:38 pm »
These bows are cool! But man those inner limbs are so tortured I can't imagine these bows would have the same lifespan as a normal well tillered flat bow. What do you guys think?

dan

Grunt

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 08:37:59 pm »
"Now I see" said the blindman. Thanks for explaining the limb layout. This is one of the great things about this site, we share knowledge.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 11:59:29 am »
Bowmo these are some tough bows and I dont think the limbs are any more tortured than on a regular bow.Mines holdin fine and its had alot of arrows put through it and multiple items dropped on it from treestand.JMO
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA