Author Topic: Snake backing questions  (Read 5422 times)

Offline mspink

Snake backing questions
« on: October 20, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »
Hello.. I'm new to snake backing but am going to try it on a maple bow.. Was wondering how safe a snake backing was and what kind of commercial glue would work best.. Also some tips on application would be appreciated.. Thanks
Aim small miss small!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Snake backing questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »
mspink: I've backed a bow a total of one time with snakeskins  :). I had already done some rawhide and wrapped them a little tight with ace bandaging strips, had a permanent spiral impression on the back of bow. Anyway: With the snakes I applied em with TB3, didn't use any wraps. Just smoothed and carresed them until they were stuck down good, let it dry and used a sanding block to work the loose edges off. Next time I'll be sanding the scales down between each coat of true oil for a smoother finish.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:38:58 pm »
I've only backed one bow with snakeskins too and I just followed Gordon's Hazelnut buildalong and tried to apply my skins the same way he did.  I used Titebond III to glue them down after I re-hydrated the skins in a little warm (not hot!) water first.  Then just did as Cowboy did and worked the skin down and pushed out all the air bubbles as the glue dried.   :)  Good luck, here's a link to the buildalong.

Gordons hazelnut D-bow build along TUTORIAL

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mspink

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:22:52 pm »
Where can I find tb3? Is it available at stores like home depot.. If not what will they have that will work?
Aim small miss small!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:25:48 pm »
Where can I find tb3? Is it available at stores like home depot.. If not what will they have that will work?
Yes
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »
My Home Depot doesn't carry it, I got it at another local hardware store, WoodCraft they have franchises a bunch of places. Home Depot will at least have TB I & TB II that will work. I think most guys use TB III because it's water proof.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »
My Home Depot doesn't carry it, I got it at another local hardware store, WoodCraft they have franchises a bunch of places. Home Depot will at least have TB I & TB II that will work. I think most guys use TB III because it's water proof.
You better tell your home depot to get with the times, ours caries TB I, II, and III.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »
I've been in some that do and others don't. Check another one if its close. Same with maple boards- some carry and others don't.
???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mspink

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:58 pm »
Ok I'll check the home depot here. What does TB stand for?
Aim small miss small!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »
TB stands for TiteBond, a carpenter's yellow glue. It comes in TBI, TBII and TBIII with the latter one being waterproof. All three work well for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »
mspink,   Snakeskins are for decoration and weatherproofing only.  They provide no "safety" from breakage.  Sinew backed bows really benefit from having a water resistant covering 9like snakeskin.)  If backing over sinew, I always use the hide glue, that I used for the sinew.  TB glues work well for placing the skin over wood or silk.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:20:18 am »
I use TB3 and thin it out some with a little water.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 08:05:28 am »
I have done a lot and all I ever use is TB3, I will say if this is your first you may want to use TB1 or 2
or even Elmer's regular wood glue,it will just give you a little more time to get it straight and all the air bubbles out.Any of them will work TB3 just sets up quicker and some what water proof but you are going to seal it anyway.. Be sure and soak the skins to get the soft,then dry off the access water,you will see the back bone line in the middle of the skin,try and keep it right down the middle[crown] of the bow back. Good luck,can't wait to see how it turns out.It scares a lot of people but believe me ,ant much to it.If I can do it anyone can. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 09:41:07 am »
I'll also add that you should make sure the bow you want to back has proven to be a sound shooter with no obvious problems. I'd shoot it at least a few hundred times before applying skins.  I've wasted several nice sets of skins by jumping the gun and putting them on fresh bows that haven't proven their reliability :(
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 10:06:34 am »
The really funny thing is that Wood Magazine did some testing that was posted in the July issue, the glue joints were submerged for 24 hours. TB II (which is 60% cheaper) outperformed TB III in the tests with a 50% stronger joint after the test. Good old Elmers Glue performed really well and is even less expensive than any TB. Im going with Pappy on this one. Since I am going to seal it anyway, I'm going to use what I can find easy and cheap.

Elmer's isn't just for sealing the end of logs.

SW Utah