Author Topic: this story makes you wonder bout folks  (Read 9822 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
this story makes you wonder bout folks
« on: October 20, 2010, 05:47:35 pm »
this mornin my wife woke me and said someone was in the driveway blowin the horn . i throw my rob on and go out , one of the florida hunters in my area is out there and he tells me theres a doe hit just up the road if i want it and she is still alive. i asked him why he didnt get her ,he said i got one yesterday and dont need anymore meat.
 well i went back inside and told my wife what he said , and it dawned on me that he didnt put her down. couldnt stand the thought of a wounded animal so i went up the road expecting to find a dead deer. when i got there she had her head up looking around but her back was broke and she couldnt get up. so i ended it and put her in the freezer.
 this is not a dig on florida hunters ,this guy just happened to be from there. i couldnt belive that he drove by her twice and didnt do anything to end her suffering. just goes to show ya it takes all kinds to make this green thing spin.

Cacatch

Re: this story makes you wonder bout folks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:00:08 pm »
Well, on the bright side Ken, she probably wasn't hurting at all since her back was broke, she probably was numb, just scared of what was coming next. I know where you're coming from, but perhaps the guy was trying to make sure somebody got fresh meat, instead of offering them to go collect road kill. If it's still alive I guess it technically ain't road kill since you're the one that kills it. It doesn't sound like a good deal for the deer - I agree. But at least it was alive until it went fresh into your freezer. Had he killed it, and then went looking for someone that might have wanted it, by the time he found someone the meat might have already been spoiled. Just a thought. But I agree, for the deer's sake it would've been better sooner than later. Although I've come to believe that animals are a lot braver than humans in the face of pain and death.

CP

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »
ya im thinking the same way as cacatch
he probably didnt want to offer up road kill so as to speak
let whom ever wants it put it down and its fresher  ;)
gotta ask though,how much meat was damaged from the vehicle that hit her?
one would tend to think a lot of the meat in the area the impact was would be blood shot
just curious
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:27:14 pm »
 I have to agree with sailordad and cacatch. It is a lot easier to talk someone into going after a live one than road kill.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »
I'm another in agreement here. But to add to it: here in PA, you'd get fined for killing a deer on the road like that, wounded or not :(

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:12:02 pm »
 One year here in Florida I got two just like that. I had to put my truck between the deer and the highway so I didn't upset anybody when I hit her in the head with a hammer. Florida has a road kill number you can call, give them your hunting license and where it happened and it's yours.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »
Here in Ky, you'd get a ticket for putting her down.  Depending on how the warden was feeling that day, you could get a handful of tickets and loose your hunting rights for up to 2 years.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »
 That's stupid. ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:28:14 pm »
here in minnesota its a little of both
you would get in trouble for doing it
if you didnt call the dnr and have them come out and watch you tag it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:42:35 pm »
I agree that it is just plain stupidity that a concerned citizen would be in legal jeopardy for dispatching a wounded animal in the ditch.  You will never catch me doing it. 

Of course not, I police my brass, obscure my license plate, check over both shoulders, and wipe down all prints.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 11:40:06 pm »
cacatch , tim, maybe thats a better way to look at it . just seemed to me he didnt want to be bothered with another deer
tim there was very little bloodshot at the top of both hips but didnt have any effect on the meat i just sliced it off and it didnt get into the backstrap
as far as getting in trouble for doing the right thing . so be it id give my license up with a clear conscience

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 12:13:11 am »
ive often wonderd how much meat gets ruined on an animal when it gets hit by a vehicle
granted some seem to explode when hit
but others seem to just bounce off and die in the ditch
ive come across fresh road kill turkeys,still warm to the touch and no rigor has set in
but never take the carcass(not just cause it would be illegal) but never knew how much meat would be good
i just take the wings and tail (thats legal here) and leave the rest
i think the next fresh road kill ground buzzard i come across,i will bring home
you know just for scientific gathering of data  ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:15 am »
I wish you could apply for a license to possess ground kill feathers here in FL.  I see more dead vultures, hawks, cranes, herons, etc. than I care to.  A shame to see it be wasted, but, understand why they are trying to enforce strict rules.  I just think there should be an option to provide some useful respect to a wasted animal.

Job well done, Ken. 
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:32 am »
No problem in TN.I kind go by the don't ask don't tell rule. ;) ;D ;D I have done it several times,sometime the meat has a lot of blood shot in it,but usually just one side,sometimes
none at all. That is just the chance you take,use what is good and discard the rest.  :) Can't stand to see them just lay there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

JustinNC

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 11:14:08 am »
No problem in TN.I kind go by the don't ask don't tell rule. ;) ;D ;D I have done it several times,sometime the meat has a lot of blood shot in it,but usually just one side,sometimes
none at all. That is just the chance you take,use what is good and discard the rest.  :) Can't stand to see them just lay there. :)
   Pappy

Hate to think of all the deer Ive ate with Ford or GM or BMW branded into hide!

Like Pappy said....generally lose a quater, half generally at worst....sometimes a headshot and you get the whole deer.