Author Topic: massaranduba board bow  (Read 5993 times)

Offline elk country rp

massaranduba board bow
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:02:01 am »
i found massaranduba on sale for $1 per foot, so i grabbed some (coincidentally it has lovely straight grain). i was just playing around with it today & decided to rough out a belly to put with some hickory so i could compare it to ipe. once i got it rough shaped, i started floor tillering it as usual, but it felt different to me. next thing you know i have it on the long string pulling way too far for ipe. no ticks, no splinters, works like a dream, and my personal favorite thing about it so far- when you take wood off it looks like your carving into a medium rare steak! the outside is brown, the inside is pink- love it! anyways, it survived being braced & shot (at partial draw) a few times, so i figured i'd post a few pics. i never thought of massaranduba as a good selfbow wood, but so far, it seems like it wants to be a bow.

63" ntn, 1 1/4" wide tapering to 1/2" tips (for now), 11/16" thick tapering to 3/8"

right now it's pulling ~70# @ whatever i'm drawing to in the last pic (~20" at a guess). i plan to get the inner limbs to bend more & get the handle to bend ever so slightly (felt not seen) before i go for a full draw. 

1) handle from the belly side- it's a little thicker where it narrows
2) thickness at the handle- rounded just a little
3) braced
4) partial draw

i had no idea this stuff would be this stable for a self bow! so far, it's only showing 1/2" of set- i'm interested in seeing how much i end up with...

Rob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: massaranduba board bow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:54:00 am »
Good looking bow,nice job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline acker

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:22:27 am »
Nice bow !
But , do your self a favor and please put some backing on it !
I do work a lot with Massa and I know all selfbows will explode after a while , this might happen after 1000 or 2000 shoots , but it will happen.
Massa splinters are horrible to get out of the hand and believe me, you don't want them stick into your face .

acker

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:57:37 am »
Very nice tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline elk country rp

we'll see if it breaks before i get to 29".... ;)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:03:04 pm »
thanks Pappy, thanks Jawge  :)

Nice bow !
I do work a lot with Massa and I know all selfbows will explode after a while , this might happen after 1000 or 2000 shoots , but it will happen.
Massa splinters are horrible to get out of the hand and believe me, you don't want them stick into your face .

acker

sounds like the South American version of cherry- love it until it explodes...

in light of this advice (& similar advice on PP), i think i'll proceed with caution- might have to do the finish tillering with a long rope on the pulley & a face shield....

Offline jonathan creason

Re: we'll see if it breaks before i get to 29".... ;)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »
thanks Pappy, thanks Jawge  :)

Nice bow !

acker

sounds like the South American version of cherry- love it until it explodes...

in light of this advice (& similar advice on PP), i think i'll proceed with caution- might have to do the finish tillering with a long rope on the pulley & a face shield....

........and a video camera.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:53:50 pm »

What the heck is wrong with that tiller? :o  It looks great!  But do put a backing on it. ;)  Then take lots more pictures......we likes to see pictures! ;D  Nice bow.
Never heard of Massaranduba before.  Where is it from?
                                                                           Wayne

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
I really like that bow
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:00:14 pm »
Oh, I should add that I think it's a great looking bow!  My comment was more for the fact that people say it'll be pretty messy if it goes, and what guy doesn't like watching a good explosion?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:11:20 am »
Does have a beautiful bend to it, dont it.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 12:47:21 pm »
thanks, guys!

the only 2 things wrong with the tiller so far (to me at least) are

1) i can't pull it much further than i am in the pic..... ;)
2) it's a little bit whippy- i think i'll get a smoother shot from it if i get more limb working- and it might last longer

and for the record- i'm a huge fan of explosions! i'll try to remember the video.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »
looks sweet, from what i can see I think the bottom limb is fine and the top limb can bend a little more near the handle. JMO
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline bowmo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:40 pm »
Good lookin' tiller. But I agree, I cringe at seeing that wood unbacked and at full draw.

dan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 07:33:13 pm »
 Sweet! And I agree with Dan on not backing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?