Author Topic: More Stupid Bamboo Questions  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

More Stupid Bamboo Questions
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:20:46 pm »
I'm still climbing up the learning curve for bamboo. Finally got a bench type belt & disk sander. Several questions before I have at it. 1. It looks like everyone takes the "rind" off the back. In the last P.A., Marc St. Louis says to take it off  (carefully) like a spring growth ring on Osage but doesn't specify how- hand sanding or even a drawknife? 2. I also assume the nodes are taken down flush with the back. 3. Assume the round back profile is not flattened out at all. ( I've never seen a boo backed bow in the flesh- and hard to tell from photos.) 4. What finishes or sealers work on a boo back? Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: More Stupid Bamboo Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:29:07 pm »
I have limited experience with boo backings but here is my take...
1) You don't have to take the rind off unless you want to stain the boo. I think sanding is your best option. I have scraped it but it leaves small nicks that can lead to splinters raising on the back.
2) I leave the nodes proud for the same reason. You can remove the narrow corky stuff right at the node joint with no ill effects.
3) The round back is not flattened. You do however want to flatten the under side so the thickness of the boo backing strip is no more than 1/8" at the crown. This will give you a "razor" edge along each side for a 1 1/2" to 1 3/8" wide strip.
4) I used Tru-Oil on the boo backed bows I built. Almost ant good bow finish should work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:32:57 pm »
I leave the rind on unless I want t due it and leave the nodes proud ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:34:05 pm »
I leave the rind on unless I want t dye it and leave the nodes proud ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »
You'll also want to sand the rind if you are gluing snake skin to it.
Nate Danforth

Offline bowmo

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »
Yea I've never taken the rind off aside from the few I backed with skins. And I also leave the nodes as they are aside from some light sanding on the top overlap as they tend to terminate with a little roughness that can lead to splinters.

dan

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:43:38 pm »
Most boo failure I have seen is a result of oversanding. All you want to do is hit it VERY lightly with 220. Just break the glaze enough for it to grab some alcohol based dye.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »
i leave it on light sanding and round over the edges.
bryan irwin

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 05:46:54 pm »
I have sanded down until you could see the power fibers and rounded the nodes to almost nothing and still not had a problem. I think there is more to it than we understand, I don't think the failures are just from sanding.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:47 pm »
 I have done both. I think the failures are from overstressing and bad bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?