Author Topic: Pith problem?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Pith problem?
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »
I have a most unusual (for me) problem.  I'm building an osage bow from billets which I spliced.  It was about a 4" diameter branch which I split in half to make the 2 billets.  I noticed there was some pith in the center of the bow when I cut the splice but I didn't think anything of it.   Now I'm starting to thin the limbs and the pith is right in the fade from the handle.  I think I can thin the limb in the working section until the pith is gone, but there's nothing I can do about the fade.  Any ideas on how to make it look better?

This is my first time making a bow from a small branch.  It is a mass of pin knots going ever direction.  Be awhile before I try another small diameter piece of osage.

Thanks,
George

St Paul, TX

Offline sonny

Re: Pith problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »
....looks like a bit of character to me.
I wouldn't worry about making it look "better"

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »
Looks as though it's right there at the handle and "some" of it will dissapear as you tiller and work it down. I'm no expert but looks like you might or might not be OK with that. A catch 22, hmm..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:56 am »
 Back it. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 05:27:13 am »
....looks like a bit of character to me.
I wouldn't worry about making it look "better"
Exactly! Scrape out any actual pith smooth and polish it like the rest of the bow, and tell everyone it's a built in ashtray.
Or even better, tell em, it's a scientifically designed parabolic depression which focuses the lines of compressive force back down the centreline of the bow for enhanced limb recovery speed O:).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:57:12 am »
OK thanks.  I did get a little closed minded there looking at it as a defect and not character, or a feature. :-[  I like that idea a lot, now I can get on with it.  Thanks again.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:48 pm »
...and who would disagree or argue with Del's explaination?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:22 pm »
Beautifully put del, Now where is my pen and paper I need to make note of this lol ;D
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »
   I also like Dels thoughts on the subject.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:58 pm »
Good job Del !! but delete the ash tray part ,wouldnt want to burn ; it up after all that work. 
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline wodpow

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:22:57 am »
Is that decay that runs in the pith area? I cut a Osage once that had the whole center or core of the tree dead

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:28:35 am »
It's water damage.  This is a limb that grew into another limb and the 2 rubbed together whenever the wind blew.  Eventually it was compromised and water got down in the center of the limb all the way to where it joined the trunk.  I cut it back about a foot from the rubbed place thinking the damage would be gone by then.  Wrong.  I knew the pith was there, but I didn't realize that water damage checking would be there as well.  Here's the split limb (it was straight when I cut it).  But yes, it looks like the whole center died.  I've seen that several times in a tree trunk, but up to now never in a limb off the trunk.

George
St Paul, TX